Class of 2021 Baseball Hall of Fame

There won’t be one.

I guess the only glaring names on that list are Bonds and Clemens.

And I’m happy to leave that can of worms alone.

Whether he ever reaches the 75% threshold is unclear but Wags with quite a bit of momentum since the ballot backlog cleared:

• 2016 - 10.5%
  • 2017 - 10.2%
  • 2018 - 11.1%
  • 2019 - 16.7%
  • 2020 - 31.7%
  • 2021 - 46.4%

Curt Schilling says he is removing himself from the final year of voting.

In related news, Bill O’Brien is removing himself from NFL Executive of the Year voting

1 Like

ARod is up next year. I wonder if he’s going to get the Bond/Clemens treatment.

What I don’t get is that Bonds is a cheater, and loses votes. Schilling is a vile person, and loses votes. Clemens is BOTH but somehow doesn’t lose more votes?

3 Likes

As long as I can rest easy knowing that Harold Banes is in the Baseball Hall of Fame, I know all is fine with the world.

Schilling is not in because he won’t stop whining about not being in. Throwing a tantrum isn’t going to help, but I suspect he’ll get in next year. Perhaps he’ll shut up, and he won’t have Trump as an anchor around his neck.

I assume he will. More interesting to me is what treatment David Ortiz will get. There’s no more evidence that Sosa used PEDs than Papi.

Ortiz tested positive, no?

I don’t think it was an “official” test like A-Rod. I think his name was leaked as testing positive in an informal “anonymous” testing survey to determine whether official testing steps should be taken in subsequent seasons. But yeah, that’s more evidence than Bonds or Sosa.

My feeling is that the “baseball only” case for Shilling is good, but not great. I agree that the whining has been much more detrimental to his cause than his politics have been.

To me, Schilling as a player is borderline. I’d probably put him in, because I’m not one of those sanctimonious “small Hall” guys. But he’s been acting like he’s a slam dunk, no brainer, first ballot guy, and he’s simply not. Not even close. His voting numbers are a little low for what I’d expect for a guy of his career, but not absurdly so. His personal life has dragged him down a bit, but not nearly to the extent he likes to claim.

3 Likes

I can’t really separate Schilling’s whining from his politics. There is a lot of intermingling going on there and he would be best served, and the would would be a better place for all, if he’d just STFU. I think he is on the right side (no pun intended) of the borderline as a player to get in even after I subtract points for the whole bloody sock trick.

BR says most similar at age 26? Danny Darwin.

I fucking loved that guy.

Schilling is no more capable of shutting up than he was of stealing 50 bases in a season.

Doctor Death!