Cheaters

So I was in DC this weekend visiting my son and attending Friday and Saturday games.

First a not funny thing. Apparently we were sitting in the Astros family section. The McCormick crowd was loud and proud. Two women were sitting in front of us. Goodrum is coming to the plate and I said to my son - he has struck out 8 of his last 12 ABs. Number 9 on its way. One of the woman, who I believe is his mom, politely told me to keep my low expectations to myself (I felt like a total asshat). He struck out. Then I felt worse.

Then the funny thing. Same game. Astros fans at a time outnumbered Nationals fans on the 3b line. Nate jump up 4 but we rallied for two. Astros fans start a ‘let’s go Astros’ chant. Angry Nationals fans said - ‘you can cheer all you like but you are nothing but a bunch of cheaters’. Astro female fan next to me spins around and yells ‘your wife is cheating on you - get use to it’.

She dropped the mike and walked off.

Crazy how 5 years later, people are still holding on the vitriol. Hell, the Nationals beat us in the WS. You would think that it would be a non-issue. But nope.

4 Likes

Oh hell yes.

1 Like

This is probably a teaching opportunity for your son: Your dad is a great guy, but don’t say in public what you would not say to a guy’s mother.

2 Likes

Your dad’s a good guy

Don’t be an asshole

Your dad’s a good guy

Don’t be an asshole

etc…

Have I thanked you guys for your thoughtfulness? It’s this kind of helpful advice that brings me back to OWA time and again.

2 Likes

If you get the premium membership we can also tell you what to wear and how to spend your money.

3 Likes

Confirmation of the left-wing bias here?

Not the what-you-wear part. That’s just good taste.

1 Like

A trucker cap. At the table.

This is such a great story.

My son probably would have said “my Dad has now struck out in 10 of his last 13 attempts to not be an asshat.”

4 Likes

Backwards.

1 Like

emailed a copy to my brother in Maryland. LOL

Went to the game on Sunday - National Park Shop lost Wi-Fi at first pitch (free concession dogs for the first two innings) and got to see a future HOF’er pitch in Verlander. The 6 year old enjoyed and was glad the Stros won, but on the way home — he pulled the Angels are my favorite team stuff.

I said why son, what could they possibly provide you other than halo. He said their colors are red, and this is girl I like called me an angel - so, I had to hand it to him. If he’s going to betray the family Astros code, it probably should be for something like that. His next birthday, he’s getting rainbow gut gear.

Cheers!

6 Likes

This is probably a teaching opportunity for your son: tell him that girls are important, and that he will possibly love and cherish one or more of them all of his life, but if a girl says, let’s rob a bank! No matter how cute or smart she is, just say no. If a girl says, let’s be Angels fans, same thing. There are things that a man shouldn’t do. Or woman, if you have a daughter.

1 Like

Now just where would Clyde have gotten without Bonnie?

1 Like

24?

Alive longer

1 Like

I went out with an Angels fan for a brief while there. She was perfectly nice, but, yeah, no.

2 Likes

I dated a girl here in SoCal who was from Lake Jackson, went to UT, was a proud Texan worked for her sister’s successful Texas taco restaurant chain in the LA area, but had been in LA so long she became a big hated dojer fan.

It’s probably better it didn’t work out.

Fuck the dojers.

ETA- halos fans aren’t much better seeing as how they’re in Orange County and are essentially the LA Clippers of beisbol in SoCal, bless their hearts.

1 Like