Carlos Correa

We really should be grateful that Crane didn’t sign Correa to a 13 year deal. As injury prone as he is, there’s no way he will be playing SS at 40 years old. It would not surprise me if he misses 40% of the games that he is being paid for during his contract. This contract will not age well at all.

4 Likes

I agree with your second post above, but you do realize you have contradicted yourself, right? He would have earned more by signing a shorter deal and a second one at 32, but the longer term deal won’t age well because he will miss 40% of the games?

1 Like

The point is that Correa has been gone. This happened a year ago, and Crane’s response was to put together a team even more successful than they had been with Correa. This team, without Correa, gave you the pinnacle of everything you could have hoped for, yet you still find a way to be saddened by it all and blame Crane for it. It’s clear your goal is to just complain.

1 Like

I was just pointing out that the 5/$160 offer wasn’t a slap in the face and that if Carlos wanted to be in Houston, he would be here. I just don’t see Carlos playing well or often in his mid/late 30’s with his injury history. In any event, I’m glad Jeremy Peña is Houston’s SS.

Do you own a stepladder? Maybe that would help.

Quick question. I understand this happened under different ownership in a different time period, and with the understanding that contracts would be somewhat proportionate to the times, but were there serious offers made to Bagwell or Biggio to try to persuade them to leave the Astros via free agency? Was there ever serious consideration on their part?

No, I’m afraid of heights.

I recall at least one time that Bagwell restructured his contract to free up money to keep Biggio from leaving.

Colorado had offered him quite the sum if memory serves.

I am a happy Astros fan enjoying the golden age of Astros baseball.

I’m happy with Crane’s philosophy and decisions

I’m just saying that if he had offered Correa, or Springer 10+ years and 300+ Million to be an Astro for life I would have understood that too.

And I understand players looking for money after playing for pennies on the dollar vs veterans in their first 6 seasons.

Its kind of sad that players don’t play for a single team their entire career anymore.

1 Like

You continue to miss the point. The reason the Astros did not give Correa $350MM is not because they didn’t have enough money, it’s because he’s not worth that much.

7 Likes

I understand your point, and don’t disagree with you.

That said, the market just said he is worth that much. You’re worth what somebody is willing to pay you.

Not every team values players the same. The Cardinals just committed five years and $87MM to Willson Contreras, but I doubt the Phillies would likewise think he’s worth that much to them.

That only works in an efficient market. In cases like these, there will always be a bell curve distribution of expected values (or statistical variant thereof), and the high bidder for a rare commodity by definition has overpaid against the consensus. Time will tell whether that bidder is a shrewd evaluator of talent or an egomaniac with too much money to spend. Remember — people like Bonilla & A-Rod once set a market based on what someone was willing to pay, and there are a lot of people now who are glad they backed away from the auction.

1 Like

I think the Giants felt like they had to do something big since Judge turned them down. Correa was the last fairly big name. Now they are stuck with him for 13 years.

Exactly. At auction, the winning bid is the amount that no one else is willing to pay. That doesn’t automatically make it the market rate. The winner, by definition, had to overpay.

That’s my view as well, and he won’t play long by choice.

1 Like

As I said 50 posts ago:

4 Likes

That sums it up real good. All that needs to be said regarding Correa.

Philanthropy? Y’all have me misunderstood. I simply meant with this generational wealth, he can take care of his family, even if it means moving them out of PR given all of its issues. Contract offers like this don’t come around every day to any person. I don’t blame him at all for getting the most of this opportunity. Baseball is a business. You have to take care of yourself first because no one else is going to do that for you in life., especially in this economy. Good on him for securing the absolute best offer he could get that pays him for 13 years.

I think his family is in the US? No?