Carlos Correa

Gosh, no one has ever said those things here before. You’re right, $160 million would not have done a bit of good in Puerto Rico.

He is a me first money chaser, and he caught it. Good for him.

1 Like

I’ll always be grateful for Correa’s time as an Astro and the only reason most of us care anything about his current contract is we hoped he would have signed last year’s offer.

I’m confident he’ll be a good steward with his wealth especially to PR.

But …

I do not think philanthropy was high on his list of priorities. I think having the biggest contact ever handed out to a SS was very high.

He’s entitled to his motivation. I’m entitled to not find that motivation particularly admirable. Doesn’t mean I don’t understand why he or another player would take such a deal.

(As an aside, labor related arguments in sports hold more sway with me when you’re talking about the middle of the roster guys and down. Those players are marginalized by both the owners and by their own unions.)

6 Likes

The understatement of the year. It was never about baseball or about winning after he left Houston. It was all about being the highest paid shortstop in MLB. As I said, he got what he was chasing; good for him.

1 Like

Play well wherever he may go, but against us may he always fail. He is not the of who left after a world series thinking and speaking ill.

Yoda?

Yodon’t?

2 Likes

Yoda was an old man in a swamp, making stew and dispensing wisdom in broken English to a guy whose car he had to tow. He was hiding from the government, and he could also cut you up with a sword.

What I’m saying is that Dagobah is Louisiana.

6 Likes

Nutria stew, obviously.

I am a bit saddened that Carlos is no longer an Astro.

And, yes, he made getting the biggest contract his #1 pursuit and priority.

But this is on Jim Crane also.

Nothing wrong with it, but he has made winning the #1 priority over relationships and helping keep players life long Astros.

If he had decided that Carlos playing in Houston his entire career was important to him then he could have made an offer that had a chance to accomplish that.

Thats baseball in 2022.

For me, Carlos had every right to find this contract. He earned that right for 6+ seasons by paying his dues.

And the way he treated Jeremy Pena on the way out in 2021 sealed it for me. The writing was on the wall but he was a gracious teammate all the way till the end.

I will always respect him and wish him well against every other team.

You realize that Correa left in 2021…right? Perhaps winning the World Series with his Gold Glove winning replacement named ALCS and World Series MVP will help ease your pain.

6 Likes

Bullshit

2 Likes

Pena was on the taxi squad during the playoffs in 2021.

I have read and heard interviews that said how Carlos treated Pena.

Let me be more literal then. The Astros won the 2022 World Series and Correa was not on the team. I assumed you knew this, but perhaps I assumed too much.

3 Likes

Clearly you don’t agree with me and that is fine.

But Lindor had signed the huge deal with the Mets about the time Crane gave him an offer of 1/2 the amount.

Crane knew it would take more when he offered it. It was an offer to save face with the fans.

He clearly feels long term contracts will reduce the chances of winning down the road.

And its tough to accept a deal that is half of what you could get regardless of how much it is.

I don’t blame Crane and I don’t blame Correa. Its simply how it is.

As an Astros fan I’m happy they keep winning.

I know this and the 2022 team was better than the 2021 team with him on it. I don’t even think thats an opinion.

But why you are bringing it up escapes me. I must be thick.

In that Crane did not hand Correa a blank check? Sure, but in no other way.

2 Likes

I nearly choked on the sentence you quoted. Apoplexy is just around the corner.

1 Like

Correa good, Crane bad.

Crane good, Correa bad.

Correa good, Crane good.

Correa bad, Crane bad.

Astros good!

2 Likes

Can we have a temporary reprieve on the meme ban? I’ve got about 10 memes chambered and ready to go.

6 Likes

$32 million a year for 5 years is no slap in the face. Carlos will be making $25.4 million less in his current contract through the 1st 5 years. He would have been 32 at the end of his contract with the Astros had he have accepted. He would have needed to earn $23.75 million per year for the next 8 years to break even with his Giants contract. Guessing he won’t be washed up at 32 years old. He could very well have earned more than $32 million a year after his 5 year deal was up with the Astros. Carlos didn’t want to be in Houston or he would have signed the contract. I could care less what he does in SF.

1 Like