Caring for parents advice

My 80 year old dad took a tumble early Friday morning and has a small fracture of the big bone of his pelvis. He has been in the hospital since Friday night but scans and results have been slow. We are awaiting an MRI to tell us if that is all the damage there or if surgery is needed.
It is looking like he will be moving to a Skilled Nursing Facililty from the hospital on Friday even if he were to have surgery in the next day.

I am thankful I have two brothers to go through this with. Dad has Corticobasal degeneration which balance issues is a primary symptom. We are actually amazed he made it to 80 before breaking a hip. He and mom have been living independately but with this happening and Mom’s increasing confusion, it is likely we will be moving towards assisted living. They don’t have many resources so we are a bit anxious about what is next for them.

Any suggestions from you guys/gals who have been down this road before?

4 Likes

My only advice having been through it with grandparents and parents is to try to be there with them as much as you can. It’s such a hard thing to go through.

3 Likes

So sorry to hear.

I’ve been through that in the past decade with both my Dad and Grandmother, and now my Cousin/Uncle is post-stroke in the same situation, at a facility in Johnson City. I’d be happy to help with questions or bouncing around thoughts/ideas.

1 Like

First, I’m sorry for what your father, you, and your family is going through.

My own father is now in assisted living as of April (degenerative spine condition: progressive weakness, multiple falls, etc).

The topic is extremely wide-ranging.

When an elderly person can no longer safely live at home, they should no longer live at home. I only say that to reinforce that the conclusion that you’ve drawn is almost certainly the correct one.

Picking a facility: there is no perfect one. AL’s are not hospitals and they are not nursing homes. Experience from friends and family can be helpful (grains of salt applied where applicable). The smell test is a good first line of demarcation.

Cost: they are expensive. The monthly bill is broken down into rent and care. Rent is several thousand per month, care costs depend on how much assistance the resident requires (my dad’s breakdown is $4K rent, 2K care). Medicare does not cover these expenses. If your father has long term care insurance get a claim filed as soon as he moves in.

Expectations: AL’s are not hospitals, nursing homes, or skilled nursing facilities. The staff provide meals and help with medication, transfers, bathing, toileting, etc. They are typically not RNs. Some may be LVNs. Many have no formal licensing. They typically work hard and don’t get paid much to do it. There usually is a home health service that includes a physician to check on residents at some interval.

Expectations 2: the rooms are usually unfurnished. Families will provide bedding, clothing, towels, incontinence supplies, durable medical equipment, etc. Meals are prepared and provided by the facility. Facility also does laundry.

The stuff above is fairly practical. The emotional toll is much harder to write about. It’s heartbreaking but not every moment is sad. It’s exhausting but it’s also allowed me some time to reflect and visit with my dad that I may not have done otherwise.

Feel free to DM me about any of this.

7 Likes

^ post above is great, all I can add off the top of my head is that the more you (and others) visit the facility and talk to the owners/employees the better care your loved one will get.

eta: just asked Mom and the first thing she said was “how many staff/nurses do they have on a typical shift?”

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the wisdom. I have seen so much of what was shared as we have walked down this road.

Things have taken a slow path due to the docs needing to do a biopsy before they did surgery. Hopefully we will have the results and next steps soon.

2 Likes

My Mother has dementia/Alzheimer’s. Unfortunately my sister and I (and our spouses) have had to move her three times is 6 months as a result of the rapid deterioration of her mental state.

We first moves her from her town home to an independent retirement community. Then, after three different trips to the ER for GI issues, and then to a short stay in a skilled nursing facility, we moved her to an assisted living facility.

After living there and doing really well for a couple months, one night she decided to go for a walk and got into a car with a stranger. Fortunately, the stranger was nice and figured out where she likely came from. Because of this episode we had to move her into memory care. All of that from last December to May.

It’s not fun. It’s stressful. It’s sad, exhausting, and frustrating, but as her only children, it’s our duty and burden. My sister is an Angel and so strong. My Mom and I are lucky to have her.

So, I say all this just to let you know that you are not alone and that there are thousands and thousands of children (of adults) going through the same thing. All you can do is your best. Talk to someone if necessary.

Lastly, just love them and cherish these last years.

7 Likes

My mother was in the throes of dementia her last two years. Not Alzheimer’s but bad enough. Old age is not for sissies.

2 Likes

Before the fall, we had planned Saturday to be a family birthday celebration. We have three birthdays in the first 4 days of July. The big one being my mom’s 80th. We meet at my older brother’s condo for a quick bite and then all head up to the hospital to include dad for cake and icecream. We had sung happy birthday and eaten the cake when the hospitalist walked in. The look on her face showed that she was very nervous about something besides maybe being overwhelmed with 9 people (parents, their 3 sons & their wives and one grandson) crammed in a hospital room and a my mom wearing a birthday crown.
After some small talk she shared that she had the results of the pathology report. She then compassionately shared that my dad has grade 2 Chondrosarcoma below the break. She patiently answered questions and even wrote the words on the white board and drew a picture of his femur for us to show us what was impacted. She kept apologizing for ruining the party. We kept telling her we had been waiting since Wednesday for the results and this was the only day all of us would be here together to recieve this information. Her timing was actually a blessing.
We are now dealng with a more involved surgery and a longer rehab process but the Doctors tell us this type of cancer is best treated by cutting it out. It will be like a big hip replacement where the top 5-6 inches of the femur are replaced too.

What has become very clear during all of this is that my mother’s memory is deteriorating very quickly. We feel it is possible that they may never live together in the same apartment again after this is over. Hopefully we can keep them in the same place. In November, they will celebrate their 61st anniversary.

3 Likes

So sad, Duman. My thoughts are with you. My mother’s decline was not slow and gradual. At 89, it was like she stepped into an elevator shaft and went straight down. The last two years, except for a few and infrequent days, dementia had her brain.

Best wishes to you, to your family, and especially to your dad. I hope he and your mom are able to stay together for as long as possible.

3 Likes