Bullet Journal

So after reviewing the video Limey posted and a few related others, I realize I’ve been doing a form of bullet journal for the last 30 years.

First, I had to start taking detailed field notes when I was in school. It’s just one of those things you have to do as a field geologist. So I became pretty good at writing things down, highlighting what’s important, and weeding out the crap.

One of my first professional field jobs was at a USEPA Superfund site, which required very specialized field notes…pages sequentially numbered and everything indexed and cross-referenced. These were basically legal documents. I also got into the habit of identifying what I wrote with “signifiers”…the dash for notes, stars for action items, etc. All of that’s carried over into how I write down notes today. I don’t quite go as far as including a “future” page, but I note action items, due dates, etc and transfer them to a calendar so I don’t lose them. About the only thing I’ve changed is the size of the notebook. I can’t use those little “Rite in the Rain” books anymore because I can’t see to write that tiny anymore.

1 Like

You might have a lucrative lawsuit on your hands. The guy in the video claims to have “invented” the bullet journal when what you describe sounds exactly like what he’s selling.

People have basically been using something similar for over 100 years. He may have invented the term “bullet journal” though. We just called it “taking notes”.

1 Like

These new notebooks are a bit more stylish than the papyrus scrolls you used.

2 Likes

You have me confused with an old ball coach. We used these:

3 Likes