Brent Strom

IIRC, when Cora knew he was leaving for Boston he told Hinch, or Hinch and Luhnow together.

This is another weird one. Why would a GM wait a month and a half to tell his manager that one of his coaches is leaving? Does Click think that little of Baker?

More likely, Strom asked him to keep it confidential.

4 Likes

That traditional power structure has been eroding (or evolving) all over baseball for the past decade.

What most interested me about Strom’s comments is that he thinks of the new crop of pitchers as Miller/Murphy’s guys because they came up in the organization being coached by those two. Strom said just about all “his guys” have moved on from Houston. That’s encouraging to me, because it implies Strom was not the main reason (from a coaching or instructional philosophy perspective) that guys like Framber, Garcia, Urquidy etc. have been so successful. It makes me worry a little less that things will fall apart without Strom at the top.

4 Likes

I have the same reaction. If the choice is between Strom and Baker in this organization, I can’t believe the Astros chose Baker.

1 Like

I would politely show Baker the door if there was a decision on keeping him vs Strom.

i really don’t see a benefit of telling anyone until the season is over. Planning purposes, yes. Does nothing for the team, including a manager trying to win a championship.

What a class act. Coach Strom, thank you for your work!

7 Likes

When does he get his place in the LF Concourse Walk of Fame?

3 Likes

This makes me feel a lot better. Strom is doing it to retire, and later down the road if the itch strikes again, he might consider taking another pitching coach job.

1 Like

It sounds to me like he just really wants to have a bit of family time, and who could blame him. He’s earned it. I’d like to see Houston keep him in an advisory role at some point if that interests him, but if he’s not interested, that’s fine too. He’s the man! Congrats to him and I hope he goes and enjoys himself.

3 Likes

Hey, Brent…would your entire family like an all expenses paid trip to Central Florida for 2 months in the Spring?

7 Likes

What I got is that he may be open to another role, just doesn’t want to be a major league pitching coach anymore.

And he wants summers off to enjoy life and family.

Maybe we could sign him to a 60 day contract mid-February through mid-April, and one September and October?

I’m in favor of offering Strom any kind of contract that keeps him from landing with an AL West team or any team we’d likely face in the post-season. What was it they did with Bagwell/Biggio? Special Assistant to the GM?

I don’t like the prospect of Dusty making pitching decisions without Strom.