Baseball Miscellany

It’s kind of nice of the Angels to release them so they have a chance to make something of the end of the season. I assume they are all free agents come the day after the world series ends. Now they have a chance to be on a postseason roster, or at least get an extended paid vacation.

That’s a rather charitable view of it.

NYY did the same thing with Bader.

Just a remarkably run organization.

1 Like

Watching Guardians/Twins. Twins were up 2-1 in the 9th with 2 out and runners at second and 3rd, 2-2 count.

The ball was thrown behind the batter but while the batter was getting out of the way, he actually swung the bat around with his lead hand, the ball went to the backstop and the run scored. The umpire did not call the swing for a strike out, Twins challenged that the ball hit the batter to no avail. Tie ball game. I have never seen this happen. How the fuck do you miss a swing?

Now the batter probably beats the throw at first and the run scores anyway but just fucking weird

Edit: I don’t think the Twins ever appealed to the 3B ump on the swing which I guess would have ended the game because it would negate having to beat the batter to first

Had the umpire ruled it a swing and strike three, couldn’t the batter still have attempted to reach first? Wouldn’t the ball still have been live?

Yes. But that wasn’t a “swing”. Good call.

The key is an attempt to strike the ball, correct?

Sounds like he was bailing out not swinging

Exactly. It’s a deliberate attempt to hit the ball. The bat waving around trying to avoid being hit by a pitch behind you is not a strike.

And the only thing that can change that is if your bat somehow makes contact with the ball.

Which was the cause of a pouty-fest in my Little League career. Some guy buzzed the tower, I bailed out, the bat lingered in the area, and the ball hit it. Nobody was interested in my protests about the injustice of it all.

3 Likes

I’ve had it happen twice in my years of umpiring softball where a player ducks or moves out of the way of a (very slow moving) pitch and it’s hit their bat. Both times the ball has gone foul, but I’m sure at some point I’ll see someone put one fair and beat it out for a single without a swing.

1 Like

I’ve seen it called many times, incorrectly I guess.

I’m guessing you’ve seen a lot of bad calls over the years.

Giolito, Lopez, and Moore claimed by Cleveland

Renfroe claimed by Cincinnati

Grichuk clears waivers

Reds also claimed Bader

Mariners claimed Dominic Leone

I was wondering if the Astros might take a shot at Matt Moore off the waiver wire, but it looks like Cleveland has eliminated that option.

Nobody taking Grichuk is surprising. Good for Cleveland, though. One lucky week could have them right back in it.

1 Like

I find it hilarious that Giolito and Lopez were first with the Nationals but were traded together for Adam Eaton. Then with the White Sox traded together for prospects to the Angels. Now waived by the Angels and both picked up by the Guardians. Both will be FAs after this season, they gotta be a package deal right?

3 Likes

It goes even deeper than I cared to look. This is from a reddit post

They both joined the Nationals organization in 2012.

They played together in Auburn in 2013, Hagerstown in 2014, Potomac in 2015, and Harrisburg in 2016.

They made their big-league debuts for the Nats in 2016.

They were traded together from Washington to the White Sox after the 2016 season.

They then played together in Charlotte in 2017 before making it for good with the Chisox later that year.

They were then traded together from the South Siders to the Angels.

They were then claimed at the same time by the Guardians.

2 Likes

I would have been disappointed if they didn’t, and Lopez, if they were given the chance.