Baseball Miscellany

Did Ramirez have that much behind it? I think Anderson might have a glass jaw.

1 Like

It wasn’t the Dick jokes that made her leave.

Well whatever it was I hope she’s doing well and checks in with us from time to time.

Astrojo too.

What did? This site has been X-rated for some time.

The Orioles’ pbp guy reportedly got suspended for… noting that the team has gotten better?

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1688634791573262336

“We’re better!”

You shut your whore mouth!!!

Feels more like a “we’ve always been at war with Eurasia” to me

Even baseball executives understand that you don’t taunt the BBG’s. Suspending the announcer seems like an appropriate penance.

1 Like

What, are they going to suspend the statisticians who looked that up and the broadcast people that prepared the graphics?

Yes.

That called strike accuracy percentage seems sort of on the low side. I feel bad for the Yankees, I really do.

Even Angel thinks that’s bad.

Maybe, but he wouldn’t want any consequences associated with it.

Wow, McClanahan (“forearm tightness”) apparently done for the season. Tampa continues to have rough luck with their pitching.

At some point, I have to wonder when it’s bad luck and when it’s some way they develop their young pitchers.

Since I’m a strategy geek…and I’m pretty fucking happy with the way things turned out last night: A couple of random thoughts about Singleton:

1. His at bat was terrific. Yes, it was his first at bat after being called back up by the Astros, but he’s got big league experience and it showed. He was patient, disciplined, and worked that at bat with a plan. He didn’t chase the 2-2 splitter, which had to have been awfully tempting after seeing 100 mph for four straight pitches. That at bat set the tone for the big inning, much like Maldy’s at bat set up Yordan’s big fly in the World Series.

2. I think he should have been more aggressive on the ball hit by Alvarez. It was a tough read for sure, and Mateo had already made a great catch against the wall earlier. He went back to 2B to tag, but then it meant only one base for him, Altuve and Alvarez if it drops. Which, of course, it did. If it’s caught, and he moves to 3B, and even if Altuve moves to 2B, you’re still down 3 runs with two outs and need at least one more baserunner to tie the game. If you’re halfway and it’s caught, you’re still down 3 runs and still need another baserunner. Not much benefit to being at 2B and 3B vs 1B and 2B with two outs. BUT…if it drops, you score, Altuve is at 3B and Alvarez is at 2B. Now you’d have the tying run in scoring position with one out. That’s a lot different than having the tying run at the plate with two out. It worked out fine, and all’s well that ends well. But I would have liked to have seen him be more aggressive there.

8 Likes

Thank you for your explanation as to what he should have done.

The thing I love about this forum is the opportunity to learn the game I love.

I can’t imagine the emotions raging inside of him. My hunch is that he didn’t want to make a stupid mistake on HIS team during possibly the BIGGEST game of the year.

Seeing his PH on display last night leaves me wanting to see a few more AB from him - in a game…

Jon Miller weighs in on the Kevin Brown debacle.

2 Likes

Interesting that Sig et al seemed to have decamped to work their magic for another team who can’t get out of their own way.

4 Likes

I just saw that Micheal Lorenzen threw a no-hitter last night.