Astros @ LA Angels 7/14/2023

Moniak strikes out, Pressly strikes out the side.

Astros win!

3 Likes

Ohtani has 5 losses. Are two of them to the Astros?

Astros win!!!

Yep. He’s 0-2 with a 4.85 ERA. Career he’s 3-5 with a 3.75.

1 Like

And over the years, the Astros have held Trout to a .248/.378./501 line. Far better than any other AL team has done against him, which is insane to think about.

1 Like

They both likely want to be traded to the Astros so their stats will improve.

1 Like

Watching some highlights again…Maldonado’s bunt in the 6th…that’s probably a triple play if Moustakas goes to 3B. Maldonado did not run out of the box thinking he popped up, and both runners had to hold. That was a game changing play.

3 Likes

And to win actual games

Plus bad plays by Rengifo and Stefanic killed the Angels. Can’t imagine what it would be like to be an Angels fan.

Came home late, turned the game on, score tied at 4, made myself a Lion’s Tail (one of my favorite cocktails), and the Astros promptly scored three runs. I may have to investigate this further.

2 Likes

Do you really think you can just leave this here without a recipe?

2 Likes

Got around to watching the game early this morning and I totally agree, I said “thank you” to him several times after that play and the resulting runs.

It’s an old drink from the 30’s that interestingly doesn’t appear in Harry Craddock’s Savoy Cocktail Book but the Cafe Royal Cocktail Book. The name is apparently a reference to the phrase shaking the Lion’s Tail (i.e. messing with Britain), which makes sense given its Parisian origins. You have some similarities to a sour and the tiki world, fwiw. But I digress…

2 oz. bourbon
1/2 oz. allspice dram
1/2 oz. lime juice
1 tsp. simple syrup
2 dashes bitters

Shake well over ice and serve up.

You may have to look for the allspice dram, but the original, St Elizabeth, should be easy enough to find

2 Likes

Here’s an easy DIY ‘allspice dram’ (which is something I didn’t know existed)

That cocktail sounds tasty.

1 Like

From my experience over the years around here I’d say it’s quite likely that the average lunatic on this site has at least four different kinds of allspice dram that they vary according to the lunar cycle.

Also, I mean, obviously, some of them are going to be more flammable than others and you clearly have to take that into consideration.

3 Likes

From my experience, the average lunatic on this site is far more well rounded than, say, your average Harvard grad or Fortune 500 CEO. See Lefty’s immaculate response with a DIY allspice dram recipe. Yankees fans are incapable of this level of thinking.

2 Likes

I’ve hired exactly zero Harvard (or any other Ivy League) grads in the last 5 years. Yet, I’ve hired countless HBCU and 2nd tier university graduates in that time period. And have even abolished college degree requirements for most positions recently. And I have the best tech outcome scores in Gov and the best employee satisfaction scores in the last 5 years. There is a direct correlation there.

Ivy League grads are a pretty low bar.

1 Like

To my knowledge we have zero Harvard grads on this board. We may, I just don’t know who they are. We have an Ivy Leaguer or two, or at least used to, the occasional Stanford or MIT man. A Rice lunatic here and there. Mostly necks, though.

1 Like

I spent 2 months at a community college, blew out my knee in a cross country race, got a medical discharge before even going active duty and lost my spot at Annapolis.

I feel I am a reasonably intelligent person who just has a basic public high school education.