Astros Hall of Fame

Yeah, Billy Doran was my first favorite Astro. I also liked Glenn Davis, but his pushy religion eventually turned me off (same with Berkman).

Then I got to see Biggio’s first game at the Dome, so he was my favorite for a long time.

Then it was Adam Everett, because I was also a skinny, jug-eared shortstop for a brief time.

And now it’s Altuve, because come on, how can he NOT be my favorite Astro?

2 Likes

I was just jumping in to say Billy Doran. I always played second base in little league so in my mind I was modelling him.

1 Like

Rusty Staub and the famous “Rusty Staub Sliding Catch”. Turk Farrell, who continued pitching after taking a line drive off of his dome that was caught for an out in CF by Jimmy Wynn. Dennis Menke, my papaw’s favorite player. Rodger Metzger, who was my Astros’ Buddy and a hell of a fielder.

Also: Bob Watson, Don Wilson, Joe Niekro, Sonny Jackson, and Nellie Fox because my cousin and I would laugh hysterically when he was announced at Colt Stadium.

Jim Umbricht, who’s ashes were scattered over the Astrodome construction site.

Nellie Fox is my dad’s favorite all time player. My dad was raised on the southside of Chicago and became an Astros fan when he moved later in life.

1 Like

There was an old motel on Main Street just west of Colt Stadium and the domed stadium under construction just north of where Buffalo Speedway crosses South Main. It was called The Surrey House and my family stayed there a couple of nights one summer to take in ball games when Fox was with Houston. He apparently lived in that motel during the season because we saw him one night, an hour or so post-game, climb the outdoor stairs to his room. What an amazing difference in the lifestyles of ML players now than then.

2 Likes

Announcement today is that Doran and Bill Brown are to be added.

So now 26 people (21 players, 3 broadcasters, 1 owner, 1 exec) inducted.

3 Likes

I like that they are slowing down and limiting membership.

I realize they needed to catch up for several decades of players but it got crowded quick.

I’m glad to see Billy D in there. Astros have had a pretty good history of 2Bmen. Perhaps their strongest historical position other than pitching. Happy for Brownie, too. A true pro who never got in the way of the game.

5 Likes

Third base hasn’t been too shabby either

Three 2nd basemen in Astros history are in the Hall of Fame.

Eddie Matthews was only on the team a short while but he wasn’t too shabby.

Mostly played 1B during those handful of months with the Astros.

And played a total of 101 games in Houston. The Dome negated his waning power.

He hit his 500th home run as an Astro?

Yes he did. I had a commemorative bat that they gave out at a game soon afterwards. I also got one for Ernie Banks’ 500th homer and still have it.

Billy Doran for me as well.

1 Like

Soon to be 4 with Tuve in the next decade.

And maybe 5 if the committee puts Kent in

1 Like

He seems like a strong candidate for the vets’ committee.

1 Like

You still have it? Does that mean you don’t have the first, or still have both?