Astros @ Giants, June 10, 2024

You’re probably right. There’s an argument to have Montero and Hader swapped since you have to get 6 outs to win no matter what, so give the clean inning, and the bottom of their lineup, to the lesser reliever. But I don’t know if I would have done that either.

I’m just mad Mark, and sad.

2 Likes

I didn’t get to see the game (thank fucking Christ), but will be there Wednesday to witness this abomination in the eyes of God up close. I’m not sure if my supply of bourbon is sufficient to keep me properly lubricated until then.

Same, buddy. Same.

I’m having a hard time understanding how the bullpen is all fucked up after a complete game and an off day.

4 Likes

I feel the same way, @Doyce7. The Astros should be going for their 5th straight win tonight. Instead, they are trying to avoid their third straight loss.

They have thrown away so many games this year in a variety of ways.

Also, while they shouldn’t have stomped on their dicks in the 10th inning, the offense should have done its job and scored more than one run in the first nine innings, too.

1 Like

Because Joe Espada decided to use Montero with a 4-0 lead in the seventh inning on Friday and he allowed a run in two-thirds of an inning. Abreu came in to get the final out of the seventh with 4-1 lead but walked two guys and threw 15 pitches. He then used Pressly in a 6-1 game in the eighth, and as fate would have it, all them were needed in a closer game on Sunday.

Looking at the reliever usage since Saturday, it was a mistake to only have Martinez get one hitter last night. He was the freshest of their top four guys, having only thrown 15 pitches yesterday and none Saturday.

4 Likes

… especially since he seems to be one of the most reliable arms in the pen not named Hader.

2 Likes

The bullpen problems are same as they ever were, but Montero gets the save if they play even a little league level of defense in the 10th.

1 Like

Yeah idk why Martinez couldn’t have pitched the 7th but I don’t think that changes the game in the slightest. Scott pitches the 8th and then Hader probably still comes in for the 9th

Edit: unless Martinez then pitches the 8th as well and Scott becomes the 10 inning guy

Yes, unless we expect Montero to field balls hit to short.

It doesn’t change the fact the Astros couldn’t score more than one run in nine innings nor Peña and Montero making costly errors in the 10th inning, so they lose the game either way. I know Montero ultimately gets the loss on his ledger, but to me, the offense not scoring more than one run in nine innings when your pitching staff allows only one run is a far bigger culprit. The Astros shouldn’t have needed extra innings to win last night.

1 Like

Agreed, I was only responding to the bullpen use aspect.

1 Like

Bregman’s high throw to second doesn’t go down as an error but was a play that absolutely could have been made. Dubon not tagging the batter first on Ramos’s second base running blunder wasn’t as bad, but is a play an experienced 1b makes.

1 Like

Yeah, I only listed plays ruled errors, but Bregman’s bad throw preventing them from getting Ramos at second was also a costly mistake. It would have been great if Dubon could have seen where Ramos was and gotten two outs on that ground ball, but I understand him immediately firing home, too.

The game is really fast when playing a position you aren’t experienced at

1 Like

Tell ‘em, Wash.

2 Likes

They changed the error on Pena to a hit, which is just home cooking of the highest order.

It did take a bit of a bad hop.