Astros @ Blue Jays, April 30, 2022

Bases loaded, no outs, 3 straight Ks.

That is 9 LOB?

3 team, 9 individual.

That’s nine total individual, yes. Each guy is charged with not advancing three runners. Three team.

Not advancing? So moving a runner one base cancels the LOB?

Good question. I would not factor a productive out into the individual stat.

It’s the number of runners left on base when a batter makes an out. So bases loaded, you single and everyone advances one base, no LOB. You strike out, three LOB. You hit into a FC, one run scores, two LOB, etc. they only count when the batter makes an out.

1 Like

It’s not perfect, no stat is. It’s to differentiate opportunities. Loading the bases with no outs and not scoring is different than loading with two outs and not scoring.

2 Likes

Let me get the McKinsey boys at work on this.

OSU crushing Texas 10-0 in Austin. They have hit a bazillion homers in the two games.

I haven’t been able to pay much attention to Horn baseball this past month or so…what’s your take on them?

It’s just designed to provide context to scoring chances. The #2 hitter hitting a leadoff triple, and the 3, 4, and 5 guys strike out…that’s one team LOB. Two outs, you walk the 8 hitter to get to the pitcher (at least previously), and strike him out. That’s also one team LOB. But those are not equivalent scoring chances.

1 Like

Man Chapman is as smooth as a veal cutlet.

Diaz with a 2-out pinch hit single

He’s the best 3B I’ve seen in a long time.

Siri called out to end the 8th. 2-1 Jays

Inside but too close to take

Gurriel the BJ with a 2-out double

To the 9th…Astros will send up the top of the order, chasing a run

McCormick…0-2…grounds out 6-3

Best hitting team in many years. The pitching has collapsed.

1 Like