Astros and Altuve agree to extension!

Given the team’s unprecedented run of success, for which Altuve has been the grease in the wheel, it could be argued that he already is. At least the most important Astro ever.

12 Likes

Spotract has the CBT hit at $25/year. Fangraphs roster resource is still only showing his CBT hit for this year of $23.3M.

CBT absolutely does take AAV not actual earnings from a given year. Thats why Bregman is making $30M this year but counts as 20 and why Javier is making $7.4M this year but counts at $12.8M. They just don’t show what the new number will be starting next year

This makes me very happy.

5 Likes

If you are happy, i am happy.

1 Like

Certainly the most important Astro already, yes. And it’s fun to think about how relatively high up on that same list Verlander is. I don’t know exactly where Verlander sits, but it’s pretty freaking high despite the fact that he’s appeared in only about 100 games with the team. To me, he’s far up the list well ahead of some huge pitching names.

9 Likes

The importance of acquiring Verlander in 2017 cannot be overstated, both from an on-field performance standpoint and what it meant to an overall long-term strategy and perception of the franchise. They don’t win the WS that year without him, that’s square one. But beyond that…where does the “dynasty” go without him and that title? How much does Crane do in subsequent years without that sweet taste of success and the realization (if he didn’t already have it) of how influential those types of moves can be (at least when you make the right ones)? I don’t know, but I agree he’s far more of a player in Astros history than most, including some names I will not mention as it may spark outrage, them being childhood heroes and all.

4 Likes

Pretty much all of this, right down to recognizing one of the reasons I elected not to name said pitchers, ever mindful of the feelings of others, don’t you know.

1 Like

https://bleacherreport.com/user_post/5406ad9f-64ac-45b4-bbad-afc56da8071b

2 Likes

27 signed his extension on 2/7

6 Likes

Great day! Tuveeeeee

2 Likes

Who is easier to replace, Bregman or Tucker?

10 of the top 19 prospects in the system are outfielders.

The only top 30 prospect who projects to be a starting level 3b is Dezenzo.

I fully expect a very good 5 year offer from Crane. The question is whether Bregman wants to be an Astro or if he will leave to more years/total money.

3 Likes

I bet it takes 7-8 years to keep Bregman.

1 Like

I think the offer to Bregman is going to be in line with the offer they made to Correa. It’ll be what some think is a good offer, but I doubt it’ll be what he’s looking for. We’ll see.

4 Likes

That’s my guess too. But Crane is much harder to predict these days.

The Astros do not have the farm system to adequately replace Alex Bregman and Kyle Tucker internally within the next two years if Jim Crane is committed to always keeping the championship window open as long as he is the owner.

Also, between Bregman, Jose Abreu, Justin Verlander, Rafael Montero, Kyle Tucker and Framber Valdez, the Astros will have roughly 105-107M in payroll coming off their books for the 2026 season if none of Bregman, Tucker or Valdez sign extensions. Pressly’s deal expires in 2025, too.

This isn’t the Correa situation where the organization had a top prospect in Jeremy Peña ready to play in the big leagues. There is no such prospect ready to take over for Bregman after this season, nor Tucker in 2025. It will cost prospect capital the Astros don’t currently have via trade or similar annual salaries to sign worthwhile free agent replacements or players that strengthen other parts of the team to make up for their departures.

Part of the reason Dana Brown was hired was his success in helping extend many of the Braves’ best homegrown players. I hope he can work his magic with Bregman and/or Tucker, here.

4 Likes