Astros 60 man roster

It’s all meth

Emmanuel had a pretty good year in RR in the latter half of last season. Musta been the meth making him good.

It’s time for Emmanuel to get on with his life.

I can’t read the whole article but it has to do with Kent Emmanuel.

From the article:

…with this metabolite, enough uncertainty exists that some experts say the players could be telling the truth—and that further investigation is required.

The Major League Baseball Players Association agrees. It made a proposal to MLB last week that would require a player’s urine sample to register with at least 100 picograms per milliliter of DHCMT before the test would count as a positive, a person familiar with the matter said. Baseball’s collectively bargained drug agreement already includes thresholds for several other substances.

Emanuel says he was found with seven picograms per milliliter. A picogram is one-trillionth of a gram.

seven-trillionth of of a ton seems like it would be a pretty small measurement, but seven-trillionth of a gram seems like nothing.

1 Like

The way steroids metabolize, I would not be surprised if the players are getting trace amounts from non-organic beef they eat.

Or more likely from their bottle of vitamins.

Rosenthal has picked up on the story and is running with it in The Athletic. A handful of takeaways from the Rosenthal article:

• MLB tests for DHCMT by measuring levels of something called M3, which is what DHMCT turns into after the body metabolizes it.

• According to a dude from the US Anti-Doping Agency, M3 isn’t found in meat or water, so the most likely reason the M3 is showing up in these players’ systems is because they ingested DHCMT at some point.

• Where might it be coming from? Apparently in 2016, MLB circulated a memo with 42 different supplements–including some available at your local vitamin shop–that can trigger a positive DHCMT test. So that’s one possibility.

• The prevailing science five years ago indicated that M3 only stayed in the system for a couple of months after taking DHCMT. That conclusion is being called into question, with some folks now claiming that it can stay in the system for years and the levels shown in tests will “pulse”–fluctuate up and down over time–even when no additional DHCMT has been taken. So the thought is that players maybe getting tagged for, say, taking a high-risk supplement a long time ago, and keep getting repeated “positive” tests for a long while afterward, even though they’ve been perfectly clean since the first test.

• UFC and NASCAR believe that really low levels of M3–such as 7 picograms per milliliter–have no performance-enhancing effect, so they’ve got a minimum threshold for taking disciplinary action: 100 picograms per milliliter.

• MLB is acting a bit shady. Some players who likely should have received lifetime bans for repeated positive tests have not been banned. There’s been no explanation from MLB, but the speculation is that they realize the science/testing for DHCMT is not where it needs to be. But they aren’t going to change course now because they don’t want to open themselves up to potential liability from players who’ve had their careers derailed. Instead, they’ll just wait to address it in the next round of Collective Bargaining to give themselves legal cover.

1 Like

I saw that article, but it is really long so thank you for the briefing.

The supplement industry is not regulated by the FDA. So your fly by night companies might sell a ‘natural’ energy booster and pack it full of caffeine.

Or sell a muscle building product that has PED/derivatives. Athletes can thus unwittingly break their sports rules. They can also knowingly do so and use the supplement defense to try to save face/lessen punishment.

It is also hilarious that MLB has the biggest black eye on PEDs while NFL/CFB walks by in the background whistling with their hands in their pockets.

Today is Josh Reddick’s 10 year service date. Brantley reached his in August.

Congrats to both. I’ve throughly enjoyed hedging Reddick play for my favorite team. Woo.

Unsurprisingly, Biagini DFA’d

I thought this happened some time ago. Maybe that was just in one of my dreams.