And it gets even stupider

A solution for MLB’s various maladies: more playoff games

At least we have the minor leagues. Oh wait, they are trying to cut the number of minor league teams by 25%.

1 Like

It’s the NBA. Which became irrelevant to me around 2 decades ago.

1 Like

MLB wants to eliminate tanking a franchise. Expanding the playoff teams provides sn incentive, allegedly

Tanking. Another reason to “hate the Astros”.

Tanking is doing a pretty good job of eliminating itself. Look at the Braves quick turnaround and the Diamondbacks highly competitive one. Consider how many teams lost 90-plus games last year for the plum of a post #5 pick.

I’ve often wondered if it was part of Luhnow’s original pitch to Crane that, once they’d succeeded in showing the league it worked, tanking could catch on to the extent that their competition would be significantly diluted for a prolonged period.

If MLB wants to eliminate tanking, it could probably get there by some combination of (a) making revenue sharing contingent on minimum number of wins and a minimum expenditure on player salaries, or (b) actually exercising its authority to veto trades when it’s clearly a non-contending team trading star players for unnecessary salary relief.

But by all means, let’s try to turn the playoffs into a game theory exercise–that won’t be catnip at all for the kind of analytics folks that the sport looks down on.

Just turned on MLB Network and find the tail end of a Marwin interview as a Mn. Twin about the Astros.
While I didn’t hear much of it, I heard enough to confirm many of the allegations. He seemed contrite as he threw the organization and himself under the bus. This was on the show with the Yankee cocksuck host.

Amen. Revenue sharing—assuming it should exist at all—should only be direct reimbursement for player salaries, and it should only kick in once the team’s already spent up to a certain threshold.

Subsidizing perennial losers while the owners pocket the cash is bullshit. Want a profitable team? Go win some ballgames.

Want to eliminate tanking?

The first pick goes to the team with the best record that did not make the playoffs, and proceeds down the standings; the playoff teams then follow.

High Heat? Fuck that spaz.

Yes. Disillusioned and disinterested.

Pissed at MLB for losing its mind.

Also pissed at Beltran and Hinch and players.

Luhnow is busy proving what everyone said about him. Pissed at him too.

When you become a public figure, whether that’s a politician or athlete or actor…, you agree whether you like it or not to be a role model. Severe disappointment in Luhnow, Hinch, the other coaches, and the players is where I sit. I’m having trouble seeing myself watching any other baseball on tv this year than college ball.

the magnifying glass will be out and every play the astros make will be taken apart to the nth degree. will be painful to watch

I watched that Hinch interview last nite on MLB. He must have said 20xs he wished he had stopped it.
We all do, AJ.

I lost alot of respect for him.

Alex Cora plays informant to Nats for a by-then non-existent practice. MLB has delayed the BoSox report for a week to better calibrate the future competitive prospects for a marquee franchise. It never stops

What a dick Cora is.

I am fighting myself on this. All this piling on and the ridiculous allegations and claims disgust me.

1 Like

players and coaches are reporting to Florida and I don’t even care. Damnit.