Altuve and Biggio

I’m stunned that Altuve is in his 12th big league year. I keep thinking he’s still in his 3rd or 4th season. Along with Biggio, we’ve been spoiled with two of the finest second baseman ever over an extraordinary run. Plus Doran. Plus Morgan. Plus Kent. Maybe second base has consistently been the Astros strongest non-pitching position.

Anyway, I was surprised that Altuve has 1902 hits, and baseball gods willing might hit 2000 next year. Just to give perspective, Biggio did that in his 14th year, so faster but close. Altuve has hit for a a higher average and more power than Biggio, but Biggio walked more and got hit more often by pitches.

Biggio reached his 3000th hit in 2007. It would be great if Altuve could have as long of a run.

4 Likes

Worth noting also that Biggio reached 2,000 hits at age 35, if Altuve does it next season he’ll have gotten there at 33. Altuve has a shot at 3,000 but he’s going to have to age pretty gracefully

I thought early in the season that he was in his declining years already. Maybe not.

The leadoff slot grants him more opportunities. I doubt his plate approach will change, so 2000 and beyond is an open question

Coincidentally, I was prompted by Witt’s joining the 20/20 club last night to look up some Biggio stats and found this article. I knew bits and pieces of many of these stories, but had not seen this article before.

Craig Biggio – Society for American Baseball Research

(and Biggio had >/= 20 HRs and >/= 20 steals in '95, '97, and '98, and Altuve in '16 and '17).

He also had 50 SB’s and 50 doubles in a season. The only other player to do that was Tris Speaker in 1912, Biggio 1998. That ball sure tried to target him, once it left the pitchers hand.

Perhaps the most amazing Biggio thing among many amazing things; 1997 - no hits into double plays.

7 Likes

Thanks for the link.
Didn’t know Doran spent a weekend in 2nd base prep for Biggio… (Footnote 16)

Real good. I grew up a Munson fan also as a kid.

On the other site I frequent there are 2 current topics about Altuve.

1. Altuve is the best 2B in Astros history.

2. Altuve is the greatest player in Astros history.

For 1:
Personally I think if you take away Biggio’s seasons at C and OF then Altuve compares very favorably in many counting stats and actually passes him in rate stats. Besides his post season heroics put him over the top in my mind.

For 2:
I think Jeff Bagwell is hands down the best player in Astros history.

He was basically Yordan Alvarez’s bat with Alex Bregman’s plate discipline, Kyle Tucker’s baserunning, and Yuli Gurriel’s glove.

Altuve is still a few good years behind him in my mind.

1 Like

“The opposite of Altuve’s baserunning,” would have been an appropriate description for Bags as well.

I’ve been thinking about Altuve a lot recently, as I suppose every Astros fan has. He’s been such a prodigious contributor the whole time, and in the postseason too.

The only real flaw I can think of in his game, is that he will sometimes, every so often, maybe about once a season, find a way to lose a game for the team. This invariably comes down to being overaggressive.

But I think that’s just the spots on that particular leopard. Except that every now and then, for some miraculous stretch, he demonstrates restraint.

IDK. The aggressiveness doctrine giveth and the aggressiveness doctrine taketh away. Apropos of our recent Game Zone discussion, sometimes their insane swinging approach is a total fail (ALCS game 7 2020 vs. CFM comes to mind), other times it’s a quick hit, and other times it results in four and half stupid innings and then a knockout punch (see this last Andrew Heaney Rangers start).

But I digress. I love Jose Altuve. We are so lucky he’s an Astro. I hope he retires as one, and never plays an inning for another team.

Also, you totally know he’s going to still be quite good at 43.

5 Likes

Biggio one of 2 players with 50+ steals and 50+ doubles in a season in history. I believe tris speaker the other. Both men are outstanding.

Great one.

How about 744 PA in 1997 w/o grounding into a DP?

I have 1 for Bagwell:

Only player in MLB history w/ 6 consecutive years of: 100 R, RBI, and BB along w/ 30 HR.

Only primary 1B to go 30-30 (twice) is cool too but all of us know and appreciate that one.

2 Likes

I’m gonna withhold judgement until Altuve retires.

1 Like

I always think it’s appropriate to distinguish between “best player” and “best career”.

For example: Bagwell was definitely a better player than Biggio, but Biggio had the better career.

6 Likes

Hugh Jennings had most career hot by pitch. 287. Don’t have clue who he is. Biggio is second 285. Bagwell was always my favorite, but “pig pen” was always a close second. Forgot about bagwell’s consecutives. Both outstanding, and we have many outstanding players now. We wouldn’t have had the last few years otherwise. With Verlander back a few more years may and hopefully goes to hall an Astro.

Hit by pitch