All Star Game 2022

Workers unite! Power to the people!

3 Likes

There is a Luby’s still open?

1 Like

As a 10 year old boy, I went into a Luby’s in Killeen, Texas and I thought I was in heaven.

1 Like

That’s the one where that guy killed a bunch of people.

Yeah, I know. I had to reconcile how such a heinous thing could take place in heaven when it happened.

Not that anyone would/should care but Yordan’s replacement is an ex-Astro: JD Martinez.

I don’t care. Fuck JD Martinez.

Why? He didn’t go chasing money, he was cut because the Astros thought he had maxed out.

1 Like

This. He came through the system with Altuve, btw.

He and Laureano were the 2 biggest admitted misses by Luhnow

Laureano wasn’t a miss, he just wasn’t better than George Springer. They gave Martinez chances, and he didn’t produce. It’s not like he just passed on them both.

Luhnow admitted publicly he blew it on Martinez.

As I remember it, Martinez made some change over the winter, and was actually crushing it on the back fields at spring training, but that word hadn’t filtered up to the top yet and they let him go.

1 Like

I agree he cut bait on Martinez too early.

You are right. I stand properly chastised.

Don’t know, but that spring he hit .167/.250/.222 with 0 HR and 1 RBI.

He then went out in the regular season and hit .316/.358/ with 23 HR and 76 RBI after being called up to Detroit.

Something changed.

It’s like breaking up with someone who then wins the lottery the next week.

You can’t be blamed for not anticipating it.

Well, you’d like to think Martinez’s ability to hit is more than sheer random happenstance. And moreover, that the Astros could have recognized it. They obviously thought he could hit, but when he didn’t after a few years they just gave up on him. It was a miss, but it’s not like a passing on Michael Jordan for Sam Bowie kinda miss.

He was a 20th round draft pick. He already was a lottery ticket.

2 Likes

Some of the things J.D. had to say in defense of Mike Fiers (collegiate teammates I believe) turned me from being a fan to not caring for him anymore.