Alcalde 27th Out video

Pretty sure Allen and Westlake and about 27 other HS stadiums are larger.

Sphinx quoted from a map “circa 1967” and posted a photo. I replied to the quote from the map and pointed out the house on the photo.

I think UT’s had some penis enlargement surgery since that photo as well. I was just amused at how small the stadium was then.

Trying to remember how many it seated when I was a kid. No double decks then, for sure.

I got there in 74. It had already added upper decks for long enough for it not to be noteworthy.

Wasn’t '68 a national championship year? Wasn’t that the year of the big game with Arkansas? I guess I should look it up.

ETA: I’m a year off for the game of the Century, '69.

Pretty sure the first upper deck went in between the 69 and 70 seasons. I recall my dad telling the story that at the pep rally before the Game of the Century, knowing all the old wooden bleachers were coming out, they lit a “1” on fire in the seats for the pep rally.

69 was the Arkansas/undefeated national championship
70 was the national championship where the winning streak was finally broken in the Cotton Bowl

1 Like
  • 1971 – Upper deck added to the west side adding 15,990 seats, raising seating capacity to 77,809; General contractor for this work was a joint venture of two companies: Darragh & Lyda Inc. of San Antonio and H. A. Lott, Inc. of Houston.

Upper deck on east side was 1998.

From a Wikipedia article

Loved the article and the video Jim.

1 Like

Thank you.

I would have guessed by appearance that West upper deck held more than 16K seats. It seems so huge.
I haven’t been to stadium in years now. I am wondering if the north end zone entrance still has that giant university seal on the gate? My family’s company manufactured that.

Horns, Hogs, & Nixon Coming by Terry Frei is a great accounting of the Game Of The Century as well as a review of the Social climate in the country at that time.

The northeast gate has the big seal. I don’t know if that’s the original seal from the old NEZ or just a new one that looks the same.

Its original location is now the UT sports hall of fame with a glass front.

1 Like

There is a research center/museum on the 5th floor on that side named after Lutcher Stark and founded by the late Dr. Terry Todd. His wife Jan is Executive Director, and it has a decent collection of sports archives there. My friend Gordon Lakey recently donated his collection of 40 years of The Sporting News, and I attended the donation presentation.

That’s a fantastic read, btw.

My late father, UT ‘60, had a healthy disdain for not only aggy and the land thieves/dirt-burglars/okie, but especially the pig-fornicators.

1 Like

That is a great book.

1 Like

Thanks Jim

I enjoyed this very much ( sorry about your misfortune all those years ago)

Thanks, Jim. Tough ending for sure.

PS If you read the 27th Out story here on OWA or the article in The Alcalde, I think you’d see I have developed a healthy perspective about the game. I would be lying if I said the perspective came quickly or easily. Our team’s loss devastated me, and even though I was not the losing pitcher, so fucking what? I was one strike away from the College World Series for the Longhorns, I had him 0-2 before the damn swinging bunt, and I had to deal with a feeling of guilt I had let my teammates down in some way. I worked through the irrational nagging guilt eventually and arrived at the place I am now, which the article and the video show (I hope).

Thanks again. Glad you liked it.

2 Likes