Aches Pains & Muscle Strains 2023

Other than Whitley are there any other options?

France, maybe. But Whitley is probably next up.

Blanco?

“right elbow discomfort” is the initial word on Garcia

1 Like

What about Bryan Abreu? I’d like to see what he could do as a starter.

Seems pretty desperate given his value in the pen.

1 Like

Blanco or Whitley is my guess.

It’s time for Whitley to step up to mlb. No better time for his career, in fact

Depends on whether the brain trust thinks he is ready. I agree he must produce in MLB soon, but I do not want him to come to Houston and immediate fail.

2 Likes

Whitley isn’t exactly lighting it up in the minors right now. He seems to have all the tools except for the mindset to be a good mlb pitcher so far. Hopefully he puts it together if he gets the call up. I also hope he’s not Tim Redding 2.0.

Yes I’m reading older data. His descent from Baseball America’s top prospect ranking is difficult to comprehend

I don’t think it should be Whitley but what do I know. He’s got an ERA of 6 right now. His WHIP is decent at 1.19 but I’d like to see him have some decent, sustained AAA success before he’s brought up. I think JP France’s numbers look better overall. JP’s walk rate is a little high, but he makes up for it with a really high K rate and his WHIP is 1.03. If I’m making the call, he’d be the guy.

2 Likes

It probably depends on how close LMJ is and how serious Garcia’s injury is, but Matt Gage may be a possibility if it is short term. As noted before, there are plenty of off-days in the near future.

The May schedule, with some reprieve mixed in

As I have said before, the only things which matter about minor league pitchers are stuff and makeup. No doubt the brain trust will look at his stats, but the ERA number will not be the deciding factor.

4 Likes

I’m not saying Whitley has had good results so far, but they have been much better than they look.

He has left with runners on and 2 outs multiple times and none of them ever seem to get stranded.

He has the best “stuff” at Sugar Land and enough experience now that he should probably get a shot if Garcia misses time.

I’m not saying its good, or applies here, but its not unheard of for super talented players to struggle in the minors but play well in MLB for some reasons.

There are 26 games left in May and Framber, Javier and Brown can start 17 of them if they don’t pitch on short rest

I think Bielak being the #5 guy and starting 4 games this month is fine.

If they need to find someone else to start 5 more, they may not want to go with unproven guys.

The White Sox have a few rotation options that could have interest wuth a few different value levels.

They also have Grandel who they would probably love to unload.

1 Like

He has given up just 15 hits but 5 have left the yard. That is why his results aren’t much better.

1 Like

Jose Altuve must have gotten good news from his doctor today. He’s fielding grounders on the grass in foul territory.

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1653485645438779394?s=20

1 Like