Aches Pains & Muscle Strains 2022

Apologies if shared elsewhere.

Thanks for posting that. We’ll have to keep our eye on this story. Exciting player. If he doesn’t kill himself first with his hustle he may be in Houston pretty quick.

Sounds like he, and the team, dodged a bullet.

Just a bruise but may be a bad bruise.

And that hand is why he hasn’t played much in LF and won’t going forward apparently…

Hidden

Since Brantley went to the injured list on June 27, Aledmys Díaz and Chas McCormick have each made 17 starts in left field. Alvarez has six and Mauricio Dubón has three. Baker resisted playing Alvarez out there more due to the hand injury he sustained in late June. Click spoke on Friday of keeping Alvarez “in a position to be ready to go for the stretch run,” dousing speculation he could see a dramatic rise in defensive time.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Houston-Astros-replacing-Michael-Brantley-17370722.php

If only they had traded for a guy who can play LF

I think someone forgot to check the Bus - I hear Cabrera rides there often.

1 Like

Hence my apologies if already mentioned. I checked the fl draft one but missed the ride.

1 Like

I’m no master of the details of the new cba so I’ll defer to your expertise but I thought under the new rules Brown had to be added to the 40 man before the end of the season so he won’t be exposed to the rule 5 draft.

Not until November.

1 Like

Hunter would need to be on the 40 man before 9/1 to qualify for the playoff roster.

Depends on the severity of course but the groin strain back in 2020 cost Diaz five weeks on the IL…

Bodies?

The most obvious would be Niko Goodrum if he’s healthy. Went to the IL at Sugar Land with a hammy injury back on June 7. Showed up healthy again (apparently) with a recent rehab stint in WPB. Came back to SL and played in the game last Friday but not in the three games since. And after writing that I just saw this…

Taylor Jones is still on the 40-man and is another possibility as is JJ Matijevic.

David Hensley offers more positional flexibility than either Jones or Matijevic and is having a great year for the Space Cowboys. Currently hitting .296/.418/.478 and leading the PCL in walks and OBP and is second in doubles. He would need to be added to the 40-man.

1 Like

Jones is the most appealing to me. He can play 1B, 3B, and LF. I wish JJ were more ready for MLB because of his LH bat. If Peña needs to rest, Dubon can play SS just fine. I do not know Hensley, but he sounds good too. Did the org release Goodrum?

I thought Diaz had shed the oft-injured label. I was not home; how did he get hurt?

Backed up on a fly ball.

Goodrum is back in SL as Cabrera mentioned. He is certainly a release candidate if they go with Hensley, though. There is some good info on Hensley in the bus station. He has played a lot of SS, but seems to me to be more of a 2B/3B/1B/LF guy. He is tall, too.

My money is on Taylor, but younebberno.

I read that but also read he was not on the lineup card or in the dugout. That suggested gone to me.

Crazy.

He had to hustle to get to his spot but yeah, he hurt himself backing up.

I understand very little about non-contact injuries. UT just lost a probable star WR to one. Pulling a groin muscle on what sounds like a routine/normal move seems crazy to me.

They interviewed him last night and he said it tightened up on him on the catch he went back on. When asked how it compared to the groin injury he was on IL for weeks, he said this was just a tightness, where that he felt it pop.