2024 Roster

I’d also have a chat with Verlander about what he wants to do; I think he’s earned that. But a Verlander-Pressly deal to the O’s for prospects, for example, is something that might make sense for both teams.

4 Likes

Dont tell the marlins

I am a big fan of Devin’s and have known him since he was 10 and on the team I coached. He is a great poster here, imo, and I always am interested in his opinions.

That said, I am interested in what you say he told you. I think he should have warned us about you.

You say none of this matters. Well, to a lot of us, it matters very much.

1 Like

Im guessing that he said you can be a massive asshole, occassionally. Just a guess, dont know him well.

1 Like

Diaz, Caratini & even Hummel are possibles at 1B, but Salazar (who has played 2B in the minors) would just be riding pine as insurance. I think he is headed down. Maybe for Kessinger?

1 Like

Maybe Devin said that about me. I don’t know. If he did, I would be surprised and disappointed. I have been a friend of his and of his dad for many years.

1 Like

Look forward to buying you a beer some day if the opportunity arises. Any friend of Devin’s is a friend of mine.

2 Likes

Could management go ahead and make a trade now…maybe the Leon for Alonso deal that has been mentioned…and if the team doesn’t hit its stride, swap him again for prospects prior to the deadline?

1 Like

Appreciate you jumping in, but Devin did not and would not ever say such a thing about anyone. Way too good of a dude.

1 Like

I’m sure you are right. Too good, diplomatic, and kind…and probably too large of a vocabulary to use such a crass, ungentlemanly term.

However, respecting and caring about someone does not exclude sometimes noticing that a friend’s conduct misses the mark. Or that their laudable character contains a few flaws.

1 Like

Tucker will be activated tomorrow or Sunday.

Does Hummel, Salazar, or Cabbage get sent down?

And now where is the path for Loperfido to return? They must want him to play everyday but not see a spot for that in Houston.

My guess is Salazar.

I am going to give your “asshole” shot at me a more serious reply than it deserves. I should walk away and consider the source, but you struck a nerve. No doubt I do not suffer fools gladly, and I probably say “fuck” in its various permutations more often than Emily Post would approve. I try, however, to restrict/limit my disdainful posts to comments, not people. I have called some posters “frontrunner” down through the years, but at least one of them is as big an Astros fan as I am who I like and respect as a person. I do not call posters profane names. “Dumbass” may be as bad as I get, but my memory may be failing me.

I have been on this board for maybe 30+ years, I don’t know. My son (Mark R., a great poster), is 44, and I think I discovered Kev and Scott’s site when he was 8-10. I have some experience in playing and coaching, and I also try to limit my posts to the game and how it is played. I have been a fan of this team since 1962, and I am protective of the players who are Astros at any given time, even Roger Clemens. In my world, an Astro player’s numbers, game play, and production are fair game, but not their personalities or qualities as people. What set me off most recently was a Clark’s calling Abreu a “loser.” I was not alone in that disdain.

I have real friends here, not mere message board acquaintances. I have spent time with them, both at games and elsewhere. I think and hope any one of them would tell you I am not an asshole and never have been no matter how prickly I get at times. There may be dissenting opinions, and if so, ok. Mea culpa.

Sorry for the length of this, but as I said, you hit a nerve. Maybe I should not care, but I do.

10 Likes

Jim, you’re not an asshole.

As for myself, I can act like an asshole at certain times, but I do not consider myself an asshole.

How many assholes we got it this place?

We’re closed to assholes. The moose out front should have told you.

4 Likes

I agree, MM. maybe a jerk at times, but never an asshole. HH would not be my friend if I were.

2 Likes

Just as I thought. I’m surrounded by assholes!

Keep firing, assholes!

4 Likes

Neck discomfort….

12 Likes

Been reading your posts here since the late 90s. Met you in person once. Many times my conduct here has clearly crossed over into the asshole line. So does yours, occassionaly. And in some contexts, predictably.

Jim none of us is just one thing. Everyone is a confederacy; often not only of dunces.

My post was crafted to strike a nerve. Glad it did. If you ever want to talk about it i live in midtown houston. I’m a german/irish criminal defense attorney who is a rabid astros fan–we can probably find some common ground.

Genuinely wish you well. Its obvious why so many people here love and protect you. Maybe be nicer to the new people–let others get the clarks in line. You coached them well, let them play.

1 Like