2024 Roster

I have heard that when teams are about to move on from a guy like him, out of respect for their tenure, they will move on them a little early or a little later if that fits well into the plans of a team that is interested. Which would be appropriate for Bielak. He’s been an asset to this team in the heart of their run.

2 Likes

When is the time up for Julks and Bielak? Any hints of whether there might be a trade in the works?

Teams have 7 days to option, trade or release players after a dfa. Other teams have I believe 3 days to claim a dfa player. So if anybody claimed Julks, I think we would have heard something already. If we haven’t heard anything about Bielak by tomorrow I would assume the same thing. I’m not 100% sure on this though. Using OOTP experience as much as real life knowledge here.

2 Likes

Julks was DFA’d on 5/10/24

So he must be traded, put on waivers or back on the 40 man roster within 7 days - or by 5/17/24

Then if put on waivers, teams have 3 business days to claim him or else Astros can send him to one of their minor league teams.

So could be as late as the Tue 21st before we know.

Bielak is one day later.

There it is: Julks traded to the White Sox for a low-minors pitcher.

https://x.com/chandler_rome/status/1790757150261665913?s=46

1 Like

Interesting to me is that a couple of weeks ago my “friend” said the Astros had identified some lower level international pitchers in the White Sox system that they like and were trying to get in an Abreu deal.

I guess the White Sox were too smart for that.

2 Likes

First time in a while anyone could say that

1 Like

Rodriguez was signed last year at 19
In one season of Dominican summer League he K’d 45 in 33 innings. Only walked SIX. Gave up 32 hits and just one HR.

Had a rough start to his first season stateside but very small sample size.

He won’t turn 21 till December.

So late signee with good control - I like the Astros track record with those characteristics.

ETA by “late signee” I mean older than your typical 16 year old latin signee.

4 Likes

Plus absolutely zero risk.

1 Like

Blanco will not appeal (no idea why not try and hope they reduce it to 5), suspension starts today.

Is there discretion to reduce it? I thought it was 10 games or nothing.

Eh. I guess he’s only going to miss one start due to the six man rotation.

Oh, if that’s the case then there’s no reason to appeal.

I seem to recall that if you appeal, there’s a chance you could be out longer. If I’m remembering the Scherzer one correctly, that’s the reason he gave.

I don’t know if you get more games or just the fact the suspension wouldn’t start until the appeal is heard and if the appeal is heard in 3 days then his suspension would effectively be 13 games. I lean towards the latter but I wouldn’t put it past MLB to say “you appealed and lost so heres an extra 5 games”

1 Like

I think the timing issue of when the suspension starts is the primary driver. Any suspension would commence immediately after resolution of the appeal.

1 Like

Bregman moved to the cleanup spot tonight. Dubon playing first.

They really need to make an exception to that for starting pitchers, otherwise they essentially lose their right to appeal. So if the suspension is upheld and they haven’t been a part of any games inbetween then those games count towards the total. It’s crazy that 1/5 of the roster has no incentive to appeal suspensions and are actually incentivised to not appeal. Especially in the case of a foreign substance ban where only pitchers, and especially starting pitchers are the only ones that are likely to get popped by it. Doubly so since you can get popped by using a legal substance.

The whole thing is comically insane. Rant over

3 Likes

Unfortunately they don’t get to replace him on the roster (as I understand it)

They don’t give a rat’s ass about rights.