2024 Roster

While this is true, I’m sure that $39 million helps ease the sting.

5 Likes

Yes due to Kessinger’s roster discomfort.

I mean, Abreu could have just said “fuck you” play me or cut me. He had to agree to be optioned. Most guys would not do what he is doing right now

1 Like

Absolutely, he could have been a monumental asshole. He’s not, and I’m glad to see that. How much extra credit does he get for not being so? I’m not sure we agree on that.

2 Likes

Maybe he’d rather hold out hope of being able to play with the Astros in the post season again (don’t laugh) rather than find himself back in Chicago.

He gets the money regardless. Doesn’t change the fact that most every other veteran in that situation has opted to get released instead of going down to work on it.

7 Likes

My point thoughts exactly

No it doesn’t. He had the choice of getting released or accepting the opportunity to go down to work on things and potentially be a productive Major Leaguer again. I’m sure the former would have hurt his pride just a tad too. I’m glad he opted for the latter, and I think he’s a good dude. I just don’t find it as magnanimous as you do.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Loved Bregman’s prophecy! (Link above.)

“I think we’ll see a different Stros team the rest of the year…”

Hope so.

It’s Cabbage time again:

https://x.com/aria1exander/status/1785752605949562897

I hope they get him some ABs.

Chas to the IL (hamstring), retroactive to 4/28.

Jacob Amaya gets the call-up. He was just acquired last month after being DFA’d by Miami. He’s just 25, former Dodgers prospect, made his MLB debut last year. He’s been playing all around the infield for Sugar Land so it makes some sense to call him up with Kessinger on the IL.

2 Likes

Former Dodger prospect? Hmmm…

Interesting. And Jackson Loftin gets the call from Asheville to replace him. Speedster with a good glove at SS or CF but struggles at the plate.

Sure, because we need to keep more of these guys going out there.

1 Like

I’m sure that removing one guy from the pen won’t cause any problems, either.

After Altuve’s 300th stolen base last night, this showed up on the internet today. His numbers are right, but otherwise I’m not sure it’s true, or why it seems important. And of course the avg. for the other players is a career-end number, and Altuve isn’t there yet. He is pretty good though.

“Jose Altuve is the 5th player in MLB history with 2,000 hits, 400 doubles, 200 homers, and 300 stolen bases, with a career batting average in the .300s. Others are all Hall of Famers: Derek Jeter, Paul Molitor, Willie Mays, and Roberto Alomar.”

2 Likes

They left out George Brett. Possibly others. Still pretty good company.

Brett didn’t have the steals.