2024 Roster

Refresh.

Great that this happened but I wish there would have been some progress on a long term extension, especially after Brown’s comments last year. Hopefully they can get something long term done but I’m not getting my hopes up in the meantime.

I don’t see any way that Tucker doesn’t hit the open market.

3 Likes

And no way that he doesn’t receive a 10 year offer from someone (likely more than 1 )

Way- he has another 2023.

So you think that if Tucker repeats his age 26 112 RBI season with over 70 extra base hits and 30 stolen bases while hitting more than 40% better than league average as a 27 year old is how he doesn’t get a 10 year free agent offer at 28?

2 Likes

You mean if he finishes 5th in MVP voting again?

1 Like

Apology- I misread your post as he takes the offer I believe he would want to sign a shorter deal.

Accepted.

No way Tucker takes a shorter deal unless the money is crazy. Besides, the Astros have been trying to extend him for at least 2 years- if he was intrtested in a shorter deal, it would have happened by now.

He has to strike while the iron is hot and no FA wants to be a FA again in his mid 30s.

He will be 29 his first FA year. Lets say the Astros offer 6 yrs/$180M ($30M AAV) and another team offers 10 yrs/$250M ($25M AAV)

That means at age 35 he will need a 4 yr/$70M offer to make the same money. That isn’t likely for ages 35-38. Not to mention he could have a career ending/value reducing injury in those 6 years.

If at 35, a 4 yr/ $50M deal is likely then the Astros 6 yr offer must be $200M ($33.33M AAV) and even that doesn’t address the risk.

But with inflation — both generally and MLB-specific, 4/70 might be low.

It’s going to be Tucker’s misfortune to hit the market as the TV revenue stream starts to come into question.

If Tucker goes elsewhere, he will just be another player in a long line. Cole, Springer, Correa, Verlander.

1 Like

… Morton

2 Likes

Astros have announced that Kendall Graveman has had shoulder surgery and will miss the entire 2024 season.

Fuck.

Blech.

Keeping Neris just became mission critical

5 Likes

I’ve been wondering about that. I was hoping no news was good news…so much for that.

Did not see that one coming.

Where is the barfing emoji when you need it? Ah, there it is. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Hader signed. He’s an Astro. 5 years 95 million.

11 Likes