2024 Roster

Pena regressed from basically a league average hitter(102 OPS+) with pop to a slightly below average(95 OPS+) with no pop in the second half

Yainer’s OPS+ was 128, so a similar regression still would rank him as one of the best hitting catchers in baseball, and he has done nothing but hit in the minors and now majors.

I’m not too concerned, but there is always room for some regression.

1 Like

Spot on. Regression is always a concern with young players, but I don’t see any reason to worry about Diaz more than anyone else. And regardless of whether they expect regression, I don’t think there’s a huge difference among the available backup options this winter. There’s Garver and there’s everyone else—and Garver probably isn’t in the cards if the budget is as tight as it sounds. I have zero idea who’s best among the remaining crop.

And I’m perfectly fine with that.

5 Likes

Shocking news from the president of the Alex Bregman Fan Club.

I’m not actively looking to jettison him, but I wouldn’t sell the farm to keep him. I’d do a lot more to keep Altuve, who is the most important player in Astros history.

11 Likes

DITTO!!!

Couldn’t have said it better.

1 Like

For all the good Jim Crane has done with the Astros, he would get a lot of backlash if Altuve finished his career anywhere else. Altuve isn’t going anywhere, but it could be a choice between a contract extension for Alex Bregman starting in his age-31 season or a contract extension for 26-year-old Kyle Tucker that buys out his last two years of arbitration now and takes him into his mid 30s.

Backlash schmacklash.

Altuve has produced in line with his paycheck/role.

Alex has been just shy of that mark since 2019.

He’ll either have a similar year in 2024 and prove he shouldn’t be tied up for giant $, or he’ll explode and price himself out of reach.

My point was there is zero chance Jose Altuve doesn’t spend his entire career in an Astros’ uniform unless he just falls off a cliff as a player. He deserves it. Alex Bregman isn’t in the same stratosphere when it comes to his place in the organization.

4 Likes

That is simply not true.

The generally accepted value of 1 WAR is $8M. Some people consider it $10M as it is going up each offseason.

In 2020 Alex made $4.8M and had 1.1 bWAR and 1.2 fWAR so his value was $8.8M or $9.6M

In 2021 Alex made $13M and had 2.1 bWAR and fWAR so his value was $16.8M

In 2022 Alex made $13M and had 4.5 bWAR and 5.5 fWAR so his value was $36M or $44M

In 2023 Alex made $30.5M and had 4.9 bWAR and 4.3 fWAR so his value was $39.2M or $34.4M

Alex’s value has exceeded his salary in every year he has been in the league.

He has made $63,833,190 and had 35.4 bWAR and 35.2 fWAR so his value has been $281.6M or $283.2M in his career.

I certainly don’t think the Astros should pay Alex $30M per year to extend him, but to say his performance vs his salary is “just shy of that mark since 2019” is flat wrong.

1 Like

And if you dont plan on signing him, do you try to trade him this offseason or let him walk after next year? Guess it would all come to what you are offered in return, Im not really sure what his market would be right now.

1 Like

I am pretty sure Bregman will have 40 HR’s by August. It’s his walk year.

1 Like

No way. This is a win-now year, and there’s no internal replacement ready.

6 Likes

Now do that again and tell me how he’s been an MVP candidate.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s even one on the horizon. I suspect Alex will walk and we’ll wind up in the FA market.

Nobody said he has been an MVP candidate.

I’m just saying he has been worth his salary on the field.

I’m not even saying he will be in the future or should be resigned (unless its 6 yr / $150M or less.)

WAR/$$ is not meaningful (or maybe just not linear). If you want to “buy” 10 WAR, it is a lot more valuable (and therefore a lot more expensive) to buy 9.5 from one place and figure there are a bunch of options for the last 0.5.

I’d look at it this way. Here is a comprehensive list of 3b I’d definitely rather have than Alex Bregman:

Austin Riley
Jose Ramirez
Gunnar Henderson

fin

Austin Riley?

ETA:nvm, I see the edit now.