2024 Dead Pool

The very first record I ever bought in my life was when I was maybe 8 and had heard the “hooga chacka hooga chacka” of Hooked on a Feeling. This would’ve been in the early 70s so I guess the single was still around. I made my sister take me to KMart to get it. I remember her asking me “Are you sure this is the one you want?”. LOL

2 Likes

I’ve only ever known the (outSTANding) BJ Thomas version and was totally unaware of the hooga chaka versions and frankly when I read what you’d written I thought you’d finally lost your damn mind. Like, where the hell does he get hooga chaka out of an electric sitar? Now I know.

The first record I ever bought was at a sort of department store called Sage which was at the ass end of the West Loop on the corner with Beechnut. They sold popcorn in the store for some reason and I can still remember exactly how it smelled when you walked in there. Anyway, it was a 45, Wild Horses backed with Sway. So, yes, I have always had obnoxiously good taste.

2 Likes

Johnny Canales

1 Like

That’s terrible. Still remember him when he was playing for the I-Cubs and I saw him play the Zephyr at Mile High. He did a double-take when I shouted, “Hook ‘em” from behind the visitors dugout.

3 Likes

Willie Mays, 93.

Damn.

4 Likes

The Say Hey Kid.

The Giants posted this message from Mays just yesterday re: this week’s game at Rickwood Field. That last line is a punch in the gut.

https://x.com/sfgiants/status/1802779435831382317

5 Likes

I remember going to see the Giants in the early years of the Dome. Dad and Papaw kept talking about wanting to see Willie catch a fly ball and we all cheered when he did.

1 Like

My clearest memory of seeing Willie Mays at the Dome was the between-innings warmups, where they’d throw it around. Willie would mostly do the basket catch, pop it up out of his glove and underhand long flies to the next fielder. Bobby Bonds was always close to him, but Bobby would catch it behind his back, between his legs, just playing and laughing and so was Willie.

3 Likes

I’m happy to have seen Willie Mays play. Hank Aaron was great but Willie was better.

4 Likes

I only remember Willie (and Hank) at the ends of their careers, never saw them in their prime. Still, I consider myself fortunate to have seem them at least.

2 Likes

I remember Jimmy Wynn saying he chose 24 to be his number because Willie Mays was his favorite player. It’s hard to believe that he only got 94% of HoF votes. Some assholes didn’t think he was a first ballot hall of famer?!?!? How is he not considered a a first ballot hall of famer by any measure? What kind of dickhead wouldn’t vote him in as a first ballot guy?

2 Likes

5 Likes

That was before big contracts, and Mays hung around too long (in baseball terms), which may have affected his status. Anyone (like me) who saw him in his prime knows the real say-hey kid.

You either retire a hero or play long enough to be ignored by a bunch of fuckwit sports journos.

1 Like

Not an excuse, but there were 12 eventual HOFers on that 1979 ballot, plus Maury Wills and Roger Maris who received significant votes. Perhaps it had something to do with the 10-vote limit, and some writers said “Willie will get plenty, but so-in-so may not, so I’m gonna spread my votes around” sort of thing. Not a reason to not vote for Mays, but that kind of thinking has been around for a while.

3 Likes

Donald Sutherland, 88.

4 Likes

Don’t hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning.

R.I.P.

4 Likes

This is fantastic.

https://www.threads.net/@theacademy/post/C8c3fCYM1co

5 Likes