2023 Prospect Rankings

I hope she said “You’re (not your) right.”

1 Like

Like any woman would tell any of you men here that.

1 Like

I wouldn’t even know how to react.

1 Like

This what she said “you’re right” to.

Translation: “STOP helping the kids with grammar right now!”

Every year some of the better prospects get an early invite to minor league spring training (not to be confused with folks like Drew Gilbert who are in big league camp as NRIs). The remaining minor leaguers won’t report for another three weeks or so. Spotted so far on the back fields at WPB…

Pitchers
Spencer Arrighetti
Jose Betances
Aaron Brown
Tyler Brown
Franny Cobos
Brett Conine
Jacob DeLabio
Ronny Garcia (laughably listed at 6’3" at milb.com but is no bigger than 5’10")
Cesar Gomez
Colton Gordon
Ryan Gusto
Blair Henley (ex-Horn says he good to go after TJS & expects to start year in CC)
Roger Jorge (Cuban who spent his first year in the org in the FCL in '22)
Bryan King (rule 5 pickup over the winter)
Rhett Kouba
Jose Nodal
Bryan Perez (FCL pitcher in '22 after being signed as a free agent out of Glendale CC in '21)
Max Roberts (rule 5 pickup over the winter)
Bryan Sammons (rule 5 pickup over the winter)
Jonathan Sprinkle
Derek West (oh my goodness he is not exactly on the svelte side)

Catchers
JC Correa
Sandro Gaston (20 y/o Cuban who hit .319/.420/.688 in the DSL last year)
Miguel Palma (won’t stick behind plate as cannot throw for shit)
Collin Price
Nerio Rodriguez

Infielders
Cristian Gonzalez
Leosdany Molina (23 year old Cuban who was with the Peckers in '22)
Luis Santana
Shay Whitcomb

Outfielders
Colin Barber
Jordan Brewer
Kenedy Corona
Pedro Leon
Joey Loperfido
Alex McKenna
Tyler Whitaker

Updated: 2/20

2 Likes

First day to see Pedro Leon participating in any sort of activity. He was doing fielding drills with the infielders.

JC Correa had worked out the previous 4 days with the catchers but today was working out in the infield group.

2 Likes

Ben Zeidman from Apollo Media released his annual write up of the top prospects in Houston’s farm system.

VERY detailed and well worth the time:

6 Likes

I don’t think anyone comes close to Ben right now for quality analysis for the Astros system.

1 Like

Agree 100%. I’m always reminded how thoughtful his analysis of the Astros system is when I read his write ups. Ben clearly knows what he’s talking about.

1 Like

Jim Callis dropped the latest Astros Top 30 (2023 edition) a couple of days ago:

Not entirely unsurprising, but there are two new additions to the Top 10:

• Justin Dirden (#9)
  • Colton Gordon (#10)

I think Dirden will be an Astro this year, just a matter of when. Houston thought enough of Gordon to send him to the AFL last year, which should tell you what they thought of a then 23 year old A ball pitcher (i.e. they expect him to move quickly this year).

I’d also say keep an eye on two 2022 international signees:

• Kenni Gomez (#19)
  • Luis Baez (#23)

Both are teenagers and from what I’ve read could be some of the fastest risers in the system (Gomez may even have the best power if you believe Jim Sheridan’s “insider” friend Nook). Ben Zeidman’s prospect preview upthread also has a nice write up on each.

1 Like

5 of 10 of Astros top prospects, by these evaluators anyway, are LH hitting OFers. Something Houston, historically, has had a shortage of. 4 of those 5 are ranked ahead of Dirden. May be an area of strength where they can deal at the deadline to pick up a September pitching addition.

I think it’s more coincidence than intention that all those guys LH OFers. What really stands out (to me") is the dearth of quality INF position prospects currently in the system, although there is some chatter that both Melton and Clifford may wind up at 1B.

Melton, really? Based on the reports since the draft I thought of him as a good corner OF at worst, possibly a legit CF. Unless giving him time at 1B would just be a versatility thing?

Probably should’ve been more specific. It’s not an indictment on Melton. He’s sneaky athletic (like Kyle Tucker) and capable of being a slightly above average CF. However, the two best defensive CF in the organization are Drew Gilbert and Pedro Leon. Melton also played a fair bit of 1B at Oregon State and was very good there. So, while he may be blocked in CF if/when he reaches Houston (for that matter, he may still be blocked in LF and RF by Alavarez and Tucker), he’s more than capable of playing 1B if that happens.

Clifford, on the other hand, is better suited defensively to LF or 1B. He certainly has the arm for RF, but it’s telling he spent most of 2022 playing in LF. A couple of folks do think he’ll be limited to 1B athletically as he gets older. I’m not quite sure I agree with that since he’s already pretty maxed out physically. But I’m also not in the business of prospect evaluation.

(ETA: To your last question, it sounds like there’s an effort to build versatility with Clifford; Melton already has it.)

I think what this really speaks to is the logjam of guys vying for the OF (we haven’t even touched on Colin Barber, who could be the RF of the future). Trying to figure out who plays where is a good problem to have, even with the caveat that someone almost certainly won’t pan out and someone else will almost certainly get traded.

1 Like

10-4. Sometimes with a loaded roster that’s just what makes the most sense, like Bellinger at 1B.

Maybe this has been addressed, so sorry if I missed–Jayden Murray mentioned on Climbing Tal’s Hill as a pitcher to watch and possibly a future all-star. Similar assessment here or elsewhere?

I’m not surprised. When we acquired him as an extra piece in a trade just like we did Yanier Diaz I took mental note that he’d be a kid to watch.

Only thing that threw for a bit of a wrench was when they decided not to protect him from the Rule 5 draft (think I’m right about that?).

Been away for awhile overseas, and missed the last month or so. Is it Lee or Diaz as Machete’s back up? And when does Abreu come out of the BP and into the rotation?

Cheers

I think the answer to both questions is TBD.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure that if Abreu was going to be tried in the rotation they would have been talking about and using him like Blanco.

I expect him to have the same role he did the second half and playoffs last year.

Before spring training, I thought it was 75-25% in favor of Lee. Nothing is decided yet, to my knowledge, but I don’t see too much change.

Both have improved their stock in my eyes.