2023 Dead Pool

Gordon Lightfoot, 84

1 Like

Damn. RIP

1 Like

Bob Dylanā€™s favorite songwriter.

Back in a past life I had a song that Iā€™d sometimes weave a couple of lines of Sundown into just before the last chorus. I have no idea what possessed me to do this initially. I guess it was because I didnā€™t have anything else to do but sit around and write songs and fool with the ones Iā€™d already written and listen to WCBS and well one thing led to another. The first time I slipped some Sundown into the song two of my bandmates and I were playing acoustic live on a radio broadcast and I didnā€™t bother to alert them to what was going to happen. It all went down fine despite the general confusion, but there was a friend of one of my bandmates there who recognized what Iā€™d done. He was a singer himself, rockabilly, if I remember correctly. Eddie was his name, so if he didnā€™t sing rockabilly he damn sure should have. Eddie had an incredibly loud voice which made it extra annoying that every time he came to see us after that, and he came to see us regularly, in between songs heā€™d shout/sing THE WRECK OF THE EDMUND FITZGERRRAAALLLLDDD! It had a bit of an Ethel Merman overtone to it, the shouting, and it tended to disconcert the other members of the audience.

2 Likes

One of my dadā€™s best friends was a relative of Edmond Fitzgerald.

RIP Gordon.

Does any one know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?

The entire song is a beautiful, heartbreaking poem. Masterful storytelling. The original arrangement holds up nicely too.

Sundown likewise is fantastic.

1 Like
1 Like

He was a great songwriter. I love his voice.

When I was about a Junior in high school, sundown came out, and the album had gordon lightfoot and a beautiful sunburst Gibson dreadnought. I still lust after that guitar.

1 Like

A 12-string, donā€™t forget.

2 Likes

I did not know that. (Dylan reference).

I donā€™t know that Dylan ever specifically said, ā€œheā€™s my favorite songwriterā€ but they were friends and heā€™s always praised him when asked about songwriters he respects.

1 Like

Not many can write a line like that. It is, indeed, masterful.

2 Likes

Ralph Boston

Nooooo!!! He was one of my first track heroes, and inspired me to start long-jumping.

1 Like

Lance Blanks, 56

Lance Blanks. 56. Former UT player and NBA player and executive. Has broadcast UT games on the Longhorn Network the last several years.

1 Like

Lefty beat me by a hair.

Wow, thatā€™s a shock. I believe his father just died last year.

1 Like

Bummer. Only 56 too.