2023 Dead Pool

For those who listen to local Houston talk radio or are into gardening or home improvement…Randy Lemmon, longtime host of GardenLine on KTRH and well known Gulf Coast gardening and landscaping author/expert died last night following a stroke. Today would have been his 61st birthday.

Aw, man. RIP.

Nate Colbert.

Debuted with the Astros but then lost to the Padres in the expansion draft.

Set a hitting record in a SD doubleheader for rbis, I believe

Still is the Padres all-time HR leader.

126 saves in a big league career that also included stops with the Twins, Cubs, Phillies, Cardinals, Tigers and finally the Expos.

MLB was not the end of his professional baseball career. He subsequently spent 2 years in the late but hardly lamented Senior Professional Baseball Association (aka Senior League).

Been meaning to post this, and info I’m sure you already know, but it’s pretty impressive nonetheless, especially looking at the history so concisely.

From The Statesman’s daily email earlier this week:

“First, Texas began playing baseball in 1895. Second, the program has had only 14 head coaches since. But only one is still with us: current UT coach David Pierce. We lost Augie Garrido in 2018 and now Coach Gus on Monday.

The five winningest all-time UT baseball coaches:

1. Cliff Gustafson: 1,466-377-2. Won two CWS titles, 22 regular-season SWC championships and was the national coach of the year in 1982 and 1983. Coached the Horns from 1968-96.

2. Augie Garrido: 824-428-2. Also won two CWS titles, seven Big 12 titles and went 20-12 with the Horns in Omaha. Also won two national coach of the year awards at Texas, in 2002 and 2005. He coached Texas from 1997-2016.

3. Billy Disch: 513-180-12. He never took the Horns to Omaha, but won 22 regular-season SWC crowns and had a .799 career winning percentage in conference games. Half the namesake for Texas’ baseball stadium. Disch coached UT from 1911-39.

4. Bibb Falk: 478-176-10. The other half of UFCU Disch-Falk Field’s name, Falk is one of only two Texas baseball coaches to have led the program twice, coaching the Horns from 1940-42 and again from 1946-67. He won two national championships and 20 SWC crowns.

5. David Pierce: 219-116. After taking over for Garrido in 2017, Pierce has earned national coach of the year honors twice, in 2018 and again in 2021. He’s guided the Horns to Omaha three times so far.”

Wonder if they figured out the reason Falk had two stints as HC was WWII?

World Wars do tend to disrupt one’s plans.

But this is the Austin American-Statesman we’re talking about, the home of Kirk Bohls.

1 Like

Adam Rich, child star. Frankly, I thought he died like 30 years ago.

One of the greatest guitarists of all time…

Jeff Beck.

3 Likes

Damn

Oh man.

I can make a good argument that he is the greatest electric guitarist of all time.

1 Like

Guess I’m listening to Blow by Blow tonight.

*sad face

1 Like

My belief also No one could play like Jeff Beck

Eric Clapton agrees.

My dad had a copy of Blow by Blow in his car all during my childhood. Probably still does, actually. I must have listened to it a thousand times or more. Incredible musician.