2023 Corpus Christi Hooks (AA)

I remember TEN HC saying after Stros drafted him that he transformed the entire program as a freshman…don’t quote me but it was something like that. A bold statement for sure. As soon as I heard that I quickly dismissed the hotdog talk.

1 Like

I planning on going to the Hooks game in San Antonio tomorrow and/or Wednesday (double header). Looking forward to seeing Loperfido, Wagner, and Clifford.

I think Clifford was only promoted to HiA.

1 Like

Believe he’s still in Fayetteville, or did I miss something?

I meant Gilbert not Clifford.

Clifford did move from Fayetteville to Asheville though.

Hooks’ game in SA has been rained out.

3 Likes

@thevandalorian The Astros promoted Zach Dezenzo to Double-A Corpus Christi. He’s starting at first base tonight for the Hooks.

Well deserved promotion for Dezenzo. He’s racked up some time at 1B over the past year, I assume he’ll still get time around the infield in Corpus.

3 Likes

Second half of the Hooks season ought to be interesting with all of the recent additions (and wouldn’t surprise me if more are coming).

2 Likes

Memorial Day Look at who is standing out with the Hooks:

Joes Loperfido - The 24 year old from Duke is currently riding a 9 game hitting streak and a 13 game on base streak. His .314 average is good for 6th in the Texas League, while his .438 on base percentage leads the league and his 1.009 OPS is good for 2nd.

One area of concern is he has recently been striking out more (12K’s in last 8 games).

He is flexing his flexibility spending time at 1B, 2B and all three outfield positions this month.

Drew Gilbert - With just 16 games under his belt at AA, Gilbert is showing he was ready for the promotion. His slash line is .315/.431/.426. The power hasn’t made the move from Ashville to CC but everything else has. He has a hit in 13 of his first 16 games at AA.

Rhett Kouba - Was impressive in April with 25 strike outs to 4 walks in 17 1/3 IP. In May, he only struck out 24 in 26 IP but only walked 1 (one) batter during that time.

One thing to watch is hard contact. In May, he only gave up 23 hits but 8 went for extra bases (4 2b, 1 3B, 3 HR).

Colton Gordon (whose middle name is Zimring) has had a great month of May. In 25 innings pitched, he struck out 30 and walked 8 during that span. After compiling a 6.75 ERA in April, his May ERA was 2.16 bringing his season ERA down to 4.04.

3 Likes

I am ashamed I missed this in my memorial day report but let’s talk about Spencer Arrighetti for a bit.

After finishing April with a cringeworthy 11.05 ERA, a 1.977 WHIP and a .349 Batting average against in 14 2/3 IP. He struck out 13 and walked 7 in April.
He has really done a 180 in the month of May.

After striking out 12 last night in 5 innings, his numbers for May are amazing! In 27 IP, he has amassed a 0.67 ERA, a 0.741 WHIP and a .136 BA against. He struck out a total of 37 batters in the 27 innings while walking 8.

His BABIP in April was elevated at .412. In May it was way down at .231. With .300 being the “norm”, April looks really, really unlucky and May looks a he had several bounces go his way.

Some bigger picture info, he limits hard contact. He has given up 10 extra base hits out the 34 hits he has surrendered. Nine of those were doubles and just one HR.

Let’s talk the running game for a bit. On April 20th, The San Antonio Missions ran with abandon on Spencer and battery mate C. J. Stubbs to the tune of 6 out of 6 in stolen base attempts. That outing gave opponents 9 for 9 in stolen base attempts through his first three outings. Since that game, in the last 6 outings there have only been two successful attempts with him on the mound and three unsuccessful attempts. BTW, Hooks catchers are a combined 17% at throwing out baserunners with Stubbs being most successful at 26%. So he must be doing something different to control the running game this way.

2 Likes

First 10 AA games for Dezenzo: .313/.463/.469 with 7 walks and 7 strikeouts across 41 plate appearances. He and Joey Loperfido are the system’s biggest breakouts of the year so far.

Correction: the above stats apparently did not include last night’s game where Dezenzo went 4-5. His slash line through 11 games in Corpus is in fact .378/.500/.568.

2 Likes

Luis Aviles was signed by the Astros and assigned to CC on 6/6. He had been released by the Padres after hitting .184/.252/.276. The 28 yr old shortstop spent two games in indy ball and then 2 games in the Mexican league before finding his way back to the Texas League with CC.

He had a pretty good week. Hitting 5 home runs, 11 RBI and batting .368. He hit a HR to tie the game in the 9th Sunday and then walked it off with a HR in the 11th. Good enough to be the Texas League Player of the Week.

He is clearly a depth piece and not likely to make the major league roster but that week is worth a post.

4 Likes

The dreaded D-Word strikes Gilbert:

https://twitter.com/chandler_rome/status/1669493106411028480?s=46&t=_4W-U911mubCNOp4yJ1_OQ

1 Like

Was the left elbow the one he injured last year?

No, it was his right last year.

Ok, injuries are really starting to piss me off this year.

Gilbert has been back in the OF this week. He has also hit in 5 of 6 games. The one game he didn’t get a hit, he walked 2 times. He has also scored in 5 of 6 games.

2 Likes

Gilbert HR last night.