2022 World Cup

USMNT have looked quite good in taking a 2-0 halftime lead in their friendly vs Morocco

Ukraine beat Scotland 2-0. Ukraine will now play Wales on Sunday to determine who rounds out the England-USA-Iran group.

Wasn’t it 3-1?

Well, yeah. At the end.

(thanks for the correction)

It’s comically indicative of the “planning” for this event that this was just now sorted out.

2 Likes

FIFA gonna FIFA

I thought they decided this a couple of years ago. Alcohol isn’t illegal in Qatar, just hard to get outside of hotels and the airport. The wine selection on Qatar Airlines is the top of the heap.

This amused me and this is the closest geography related thread so here:

2 Likes

This is true in the UK too.

Not funny

Actually, pretty funny.

2 Likes

That was also the name of my Driver’s Education teacher. A couple of my best teachers were Coaches, Coach Baker taught great history courses and Coach Sutton was a great civics and sociology teacher.

Let me tell you how it worked for me:

I had a history degree with a government minor and a generic Social Studies certificate. Several coaches have social studies degrees and certificates, not PE. Of course, I wanted to teach American History or Government (Civics) or Sociology or other courses juniors and seniors took. Possibly the comedians think those upper level courses are worthy of a “good” teacher.

Unfortunately, the persons with seniority on the faculty also wanted those courses, and the principal decided who taught what. The most senior teachers got the best courses, and the rest of us got World Geography, which was a ninth grade course. I very much disliked that assignment. I also taught tenth grade World History, which I liked.

So I taught Geography, and my first name was “Coach.” I also was a good classroom teacher, and I know this because many of my students told me I was then and now. A teacher can get no higher praise.
Coach Raup

PS I also taught Black History as an elective in Brenham. There was no textbook, and there were no materials, and I think the principal thought he was punishing the young liberal whippersnapper baseball coach. He told me the week before school started. I had a blast with that course and got all the curriculum materials I needed from a book written by and suggestions from one of my PONY League coaches who was professor of Black History at Texas Tech.

4 Likes

Let me tell y’all something. Geography is no joke. You want to be geographically ignorant? By all means, unite with the great majority.

Just today I solved the daily Worldle without having to refer to a map. This is of course customary, but today’s country was Comoros.

My son is a Worldle terror. He routinely pants older players, namely his mother.

I have postponed the paternity test.

5 Likes

I agree Chuck - no excuse fir not knowing geography!

1 Like

The island countries are murder for me. I lucked into today’s answer in three, by wildly guessing countries in the South Pacific and Caribbean and them both being massively wrong in opposite directions.

1 Like

My wife wanted to teach history but got a double major/certification in history and English. She explained to me that many history teachers are coaches and that makes jobs hard to come by. Her passion for history made her a great American Lit teacher. She would often try to get on the same pacing as the history teacher to put the novels in historical context.

3 Likes

Yes – I have always wanted to teach history to teenagers and am finally living my fantasy in my fourth career. I also teach English composition and as a school (Wilson Hill Academy) we try to integrate history/literature/philosophy across courses wherever possible. We even have a great books sequence (The Great Conversation) that integrates within a single, multi-credit course.

6 Likes

Let the record show that I value teachers: both of my parents were teachers as well as many relatives. I always empathize with teachers and cringe when I hear people disparage their educators.

And I had some coaches who were very good on the field/court and in the classroom.

I just thought that was a funny quote.

And accurate.

My 10th, 11th and 12th grade history and literature classes in Cy-Fair ISD were taught this way – the teachers worked together so that the literature we were studying came from roughly the same part of the timeline that we were studying in history. It made both classes better.

2 Likes