2022 Spring Training News & Notes

Starting today in WPB there is a minicamp for 30 of the top prospects in the system. I haven’t seen a list of all the players invited but apparently it includes Korey Lee, pitcher Alex Santos and outfielders Tyler Whitaker and Colin Barber.

The remaining minor leaguers start reporting on March 2. Guys who are on the 40-man roster such as Jeremy Pena, pitchers Shawn Dubin and Jonathan Bermudez and infielder Joe Perez of course are locked out and won’t be able to participate.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. My last attendance at an Astros spring training game was the final year in Kissimmee (2016). Misses Astrojim and I were loosely planning to go to WPB this year, but now in a wait and see, obviously.

My ST buddy says 2/25 is our go/no go deadline.

1 Like

Sadly, I think I’m taking the no-go on that one.

1 Like

Yeah, me also. Thing is, I am getting to the point of not caring. I still love the Game and the Astros, but I have just about had it with MLB. Billionaires fighting with multi-millionaires over money for playing a game is ludicrous.

5 Likes

A bit more from the minicamp:

• Coming off right shoulder surgery that wiped out most of his 2021 season, OF Colin Barber is swinging the bat better than ever says asst GM Pete Putila.

• OF Corey Julks is getting some work in at 3B to increase his positional flexibility. The position is not completely new to him as he did play some 3B his freshman year with the Coogs.

• Some other names in camp: OF Logan Cerny (acquired from Phils for Garrett Stubbs) and 2021 draftees Spencer Arrighetti, Chayce McDermott, Aaron Brown (all pitchers) and OF Michael Sandle.

That’s good news about Barber. As I recall, when he was drafted both his arm and defense were good enough for CF or RF. It was the bat that was more of a question mark. If he is figuring that part out, he could be on the verge of a breakout season like Joe Perez last year. Make up is off the charts.

Cerny is another interesting name to keep an eye on.

Like Logan Cerny, another guy new to the organization who I’m told is also at the minicamp…

At least two of the players mentioned were at the minicamp…

The minor league schedule is unimpaired by the big league stuff, right?

No impact to the schedule.

Depending on long the lockout lasts, it potentially affects the development of players like Joe Perez, Jeremy Pena, Shawn Dubin and Jonathan Bermudez. All four are on the 40-man roster and won’t be allowed to play in the minors.

I did not know that last sentence. Damn.