2022 roster

Consider the source.

Hopefully

Does anyone know the status of Raley?

Fangraphs has him listed as a free agent.

Cots contracts has him under team control -2025 and arbitration eligible for the first time 2023.

I thought that Correa handled himself better than Cole did. Correa used words like “the team” and “us” when he did his interview. I think he does truly like Houston. Time will tell.

4 Likes

So, it’s from the comments he made at the final World Series press conference. Correa may not return, but he has yet to say he won’t consider a reasonable offer from the Astros. It’s up to Crane to make one.

1 Like

I think he still is happy to stay if Crane ponies up.

But after the preseason offers I don’t think he expects an acceptable offer.

I think he completely dismisses anything under 8 years and $25mil per year. I think that’s the starting point to even get a counter offer.

And it will take more than that to get a deal done.

Thanks

I’m aware. He said that in his Puerto Rican interview earlier this postseason. It’s up to Jim Crane to realize that elite, young position players aren’t going to sign for 5 years, 125 million anymore and that the Astros’ roster will look drastically different by 2030 or 2031, when a 9-or-10 year deal for Correa would end. Same will be true for Alvarez and Tucker four years from now. Lindor got 10/341, Mookie Betts got 13/390, Tatis got 14/420, Harper got 13/330 and Machado got 10/300.

The 40 man is at 38.

According to Fangraphs there are 61 players in the system that must be added or exposed to the rule 5 draft.

Among those who are on Baseball America, Fangraphs, or MLB Pipeline top prospects lists:

Pitchers: Shawn Dubin, Jojanse Torres, Brett Conine, Austin Hansen, Angel Macuare, Jose Alberto Rivera, Juan Pablo Lopez, Diosmerky Taveras, Bryan De Paula, Jairo Lopez, Manny Ramirez.

Catchers: Yasser Diaz, Scott Manea

Infielders: Jeremy Pena, Joe Perez, Luis Santana

Outfielders: Alex McKenna.

Others that Fangraphs rated among top 500 players in minors 2021:
JJ Mayijevic 1b/of 234,
David Hensley inf 357
Emmanuel Valdez 2b/3b 108
Marty Costes of 282
Corey Julks of 411
J.P. France SP 136
Jonathan Bermudez SP 82

You can’t overstate the importance of the CBA expiring on 12/1. There will be no free agency or Rule 5 draft unless a new collective bargaining agreement is in place. I’ll be very surprised if anyone signs a deal before then given all the uncertainty.

2 Likes

I think it depends on the player.

I agree that may be the case for the stars who may have a chance at more money

But if you are a fringe player who could be phased out, you sign as soon as you can and CBA be damned.

Older marginally productive veterans or AAAA players especially.

Correa’s postgame interview was very much as a member of the Astros.

Nothing like what Spider Tack did in 19.

10 Likes

I agree and he has ALWAYS been an Astro.

It gives me hope. I think ( hope) that all things being equal he will choose Houston if offers are comparable

He is very savvy and also in tuned.

He is also a student of the game and it’s history.

That gives me hope that he wants to be one of those Cal Ripken, Derek Jeter. . . Craig Biggio, Jeff Bagwell players who spend their entire career on one team and end up in the hall of fame AND the team Mt Rushmore.

2 Likes

He truly has been this team’s captain.

I’d love for him to return but I’m resigned to him being gone. CC has sounded like he was resigned to be gone all year.

I think it depends on the owners. I highly doubt they have any sense of urgency to sign anyone without the certainty of a new CBA.

Both sides do have just under a month of free agency, though, so who the hell knows?

I saw one clip which sounded like a wistful farewell. I think a major part of him and his lady want to stay so it really is up to Crane to stroke his massive ego.

2 Likes

Hopefully when they massage his ego he doesn’t break a rib

8 Likes

I don’t see any scenario where the superstar player suddenly don’t get $30mil per year deals.

Waiting until after the CBA changes is not going to make a huge difference.

I say lock Correa’s agent and Click in a room together ( with their phones on speed dial to Correa and Crane) for the next few days until a deal gets done.

Before Carlos can talk to other teams starting Monday.

1 Like