2022 Dead Pool

Robbie Coltrane

Fuck.

So, my Robbie Coltrane story. This is from long before Harry Potter, back when he was playing bit parts on alternative TV comedies.

A friend and I rocked up to the bar at the George Inn on Borough High Street with a plan to sit outside with a pint (or 5) on a pleasant evening. The man in front of us at the bar was massive - just a man-mountain. He offered to buy us a drink in a very slurred Scottish accent; we looked at each other and then politely declined. Later we discussed how we’d both had the same thought: we did not want to be beholden for a drink to a sad, lonely, drunk, Scotsman.

He took his drink and left, barely squeezing through the door on his way outside. We got our drinks, found a table outside and, after sitting down, realized what idiots we were. The man - obviously Coltrane - wasn’t on his own. He was at a table with what was - at the time - the “it” crowd of British comedy. The Monty Python of their era. In addition to Coltrane, there was Rik Mayall (RIP), Ade Edmondson, Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French and Lenny Henry (now appearing in the Rings series on Amazon).

Had we not been such pussies, we could’ve been rubbing shoulders with some amazing people. Instead, we sat by ourselves and tried not to imagine that they were sitting over there calling us cunts and laughing at our expense.

1 Like

Be that as it may, I believe ‘Do not accept drinks from sad drunk Scottish dudes’ remains a sound policy, wholly defensible.

3 Likes

John Jay Osborn - author of The Paper Chase.

Have no idea how he managed to live this long but…

Jerry Lee Lewis, 87.

Great balls of fire, I didn’t know he was still alive.

2 Likes

My dad attended one of those multi-act shows back in the 50s with JLL, Johnny Cash, etc.

He said there was a guy heckling Jerry Lee Lewis about his hair.

JLL stopped at one point and said:

“You hear that guy? Before he was born, his daddy wanted a boy. His mama wanted a girl. And they’re both happy.”

Then he started playing again.

3 Likes

The Killer. He was the last man standing. Perkins, Presley, Cash… He was a “one-of-a-kind” performer for sure. Might have actually killed someone.

Former University of Georgia football coach Vince Dooley, 90.

My grandmother called him “Wormhead”.

Dead Kennedys drummer, D.H. Peligro died in his home in L.A. yesterday from head trauma.

Football HoF punter, Ray Guy, generally regarded as the GOAT

Greatest non-criminal alum of my parents Alma mater.

He sure got a kick out of life.

2 Likes

Argh

Boo

Just trying to kick things into another gear.

Jimmy Buffet?

He’s been stealing money for years.

1 Like

He used to have money one time.