2022 Corpus Christi Hooks (AA)

Oof…platinum sombrero for Shay Whitcomb tonight.

35% K rate on the season.

Updating and expanding on this…

Currently on a 7-game hitting streak where he’s hitting a scorching .563 (18-32) with 6 doubles, 1 triple and 3 HRs.

Since May 1: .335/.408/.633 with 21 doubles, 4 triples and 15 HRs in 63 games.

His .977 OPS for the season ranks 5th in the Texas League. Interestingly, the four players in front of him have all been promoted to AAA (or in the case of Esteury Ruiz the big leagues with San Diego).

Plus 4 golden sombreros.

3 (2 goldens and that platinum) have come in his last 5 games.

Justin Dirden with 4 hits tonight and now up to .318/.404/.590 on the season.

The NDFA (signed by Jim Stevenson in 2020) ranks 2nd in BA, SLG and OPS among all Astros minor leaguers this season with only Enmanuel Valdez ahead of him.

(minimum 300 PAs)

What is it about Jim Stevenson that you love so much, that you make it a point to mention every player 12-20 round, every UDFA, every whoever?

Why him and no other scouts?

Because of his success rate.

Because the organization leans on him heavily when it comes to drafting players.

Year in, year out.

2 Likes

I don’t know what his success rate is, that’s why I was asking.

This is honest question…who, and why, him?

For those that don’t know him this is as good a primer as any…

Because aside from Stevenson there is little continuity on the Astros domestic scouting side.

Stevenson’s impressive resume is why he’s lasted so long.

OK, then, thanks for the info.

Dirden continues to roll. 3 more hits including his 17th HR. When does he get the call to AAA? Maybe after trade deadline passes?

I imagine that if Siri heads out in a trade, Dirden will likely take his place.

I know nothing about Dirden. Corner OFer only?

Probably. His bio says all three, but I don’t know if his CF is acceptable or not. He’s already 25, so it’s definitely time to find out if there’s any more upside. Maybe he’s a late bloomer.

If memory serves, he had a great sophomore year, then had a season ending injury early on in his junior year and then had his senior year cut down to next to nothing due to COVID. Ended up signing with us via FA route. Point is…maybe we found a diamond in the rough that would have long since been picked up via draft if he’d not missed so much time.

1 Like

And here’s a Tulsa radio interview with him today. Only player drafted this year he talks about is Garrett McGowan. But it is interesting to hear Jim talk about him as well as how the draft process and minors have changed over the last few years. And no he’s not happy about it…

https://twitter.com/TheBlitz1170/status/1555250814943432704?s=20&t=8PNZzPHTYUczN2Zee7ozkQ

The interview starts at about the 28:30 mark.

26 year old catcher Cesar Salazar hitting .417/.463/.708 over his last 13 games with 3 HRs and 5 doubles.

His K rate in time split between CC and SL this year is just 17%.

1 Like

The recent round of releases and the assignment of the new draft class to their initial teams reminds me that it has been a long time since I did a mid-season bus rider review. I probably will not finish it, but thought I would start with AA batters and see if I have time (or y’all have interest) in more.

Infield
1B [& C] has been mostly manned by Yainer Diaz (promoted to Sugar Land), Luke Berryhill (injured) and Bryan Arias, though the promoted Jordan Brewer has gotten some time there recently, as has Cesar Salazar. Of course, Diaz, Berryhill & Salazar are primarily catchers – they each have about the same total appearances there – so the goal appears to be to get them ABs at 1B and DH whenever possible.

• Diaz has seen his power increase at AAA while still keeping is strikeout rate under 20%; he has a combined .868 OPS with about 1/3 of that coming at Sugar Land. He has cut is PB rate somewhat and is throwing out 22% of attempted basestealers. IMO, he is behind only Korey Lee on the prospect depth chart at C.
  • Berryhill was having a decent season at the plate before his injury, though he has thrown out only 12% of opposing runners; his long-term future may not be behind the plate.
  • Salazar struggled some at AAA, but has hit well since returning to Corpus Christi (.309/.355/.512 with a K-rate under 15%) and has thrown out 34% of would-be basestealers. At 26, though, I am not sure he is still a “prospect”.
  • Brewer saw action at all three OF positions in Asheville and had an OPS of .892 before his promotion. He has mostly been seen in RF or at 1B for the Hooks, and his power has yet to make an appearance in AA; he is also striking out at a 33% clip there. He may be worth watching, though; he was as high as #6 or #7 on prospect lists a couple of years ago before injuries slowed his progress.

2B/3B & SS have involved a lot of flexibility, with seven guys (including Enmanuel Valdez before his promotion) getting the bulk of the playing time at those three positions. Among those still in the organization,

• Joe Perez spent time on the IL but has come back to get most of the PT at 3B. He is not really tearing up the league, though, sporting a .234/.300/.336 slash line and striking out 24% of the time.
  • Bryan Arias (mentioned above) is even more unimpressive at the plate (.225/.337/.330 and 78 K in 271 PA) and has spent time at every position except SS, C & CF. Frankly, I will be surprised if he completes the year in the organization.
  • Shay Whitcomb is the normal 2B (with plenty of time spent at SS & 3B). He has some pop (11 HR) but has 134 Ks in 371 PA to go with a .199 batting average. The glove will probably not carry that bat.
  • Grae Kessinger is the regular SS, and has similarly struggled at the plate – .197/.320/.355 with 80 K in 370 PA. He has been as high as #11 on some recent prospect lists, but his star is fading this year.
  • Will Wagner has spent most of his time at 2B & 3B after promotion from Asheville, where he also played 1B. He certainly hits better than the rest of the list above, but nothing to get overly excited about. That said, the organization seems to think well of him.
  • Edwin Diaz was injured for a month or more early in the season, but has seen time at all three IF positions since returning. He has some pop (slashing .174/.260/.409), but at 26 is clearly filler.

Outfield
Lots of flexibility here as well; those who have appeared most frequently (in decreasing order of PA) are:

• Wilyer Abreu (since traded) - 15 HR; 54 RBI; .249/.399/.459
  • Justin Dirden (just promoted to AAA) - 20 HR; 73 RBI; .324/.411/.616; played all three OF positions
  • Alex McKenna - .230/.360/.344 after demotion from AAA where he had similar results. Apparently an elite defender in CF, but has split time about equally among the three positions; falling fast on the prospect lists.
  • Jordan Brewer – covered above; mostly RF
  • Ross Adolph – acquired from the Mets in the JD Davis trade that also brought Luis Santana & Scott Manea; injured since late May but now on rehab assignment in the FCL; corner OF; .239/.505/.380 before his injury with more BB than K.
  • Luis Guerrero – mostly LF, but demoted to Asheville (where he is getting reps at 2B alongside Santana) in early June after slashing .080/.254/.140; you can probably forget this name safely.
  • Matthew Barefoot – fairly highly thought of, but on the 60-day IL after one game this spring.
  • Quincy Hamilton – just promoted for the second time this season after slashing .321/.442/.524 at Asheville. He has speed (20 SB in 22 attempts across A/A+) but seems to be mostly a corner OF. He may be worth paying attention to if he continues to develop.
8 Likes

Mad interest in more of these, VB—and thanks!