2021 Rule 5 draft

Per JJ Cooper tweets, they also lost Manny Ramirez (Yankees) and Brett Daniels (Former Indians).

Dawson is no big deal. I do not know about the other two.

Ramirez showed some promise a few years ago but has not progressed. Maybe injuries? Daniels does not seem to be much of a loss, and I agree on Dawson.

1 Like

So teams could protect up to 38 players on their AAA roster in order to prevent them from being taken in this minor league portion of the Rule 5. The Astros were not one of the organizations who had fully utilized all 38 spots entering the draft today. That more than anything should tell you how Click and company viewed Dawson, Ramirez and Daniels.

For some reason I thought you could only lose a max of two players in the Rule 5 draft.

Nope.

Not in recent years at least. Neither in the major or minor league phase.

The Astros did add one player–RHP Ruben Garcia who was in the Tigers organization.

Originally drafted by Baltimore in the 14th round on 2016. Spent all or parts of his first 4 seasons in short season leagues. The Tigers claimed him on waivers prior to the 2020 season. Reached AA for the first time in 2021 where he K’d 51 in 41 IP but also walked 29. Age 25 and listed at 6’4" 220 lbs. FB up to 97 says BA.

In other words, exactly the type of pitcher whom the Astros have had great success working with.

1 Like

MLB portion will not happen…

Released last month after appearing in just 5 games for the Hooks and struggling badly.