2021 MLB Draft

Picks in rounds 11-20 get handled differently with $125K being the magic number for those guys. If you sign them for less than that amount it has zero impact on that $750K number. For example, Will Wagner signing for $50K does not add $75K. However if you sign someone in those rounds for greater than $125K that will reduce the $750K amount. So if the Astros had signed Wagner instead for $140K that $15K excess lowers the underslot amount to $735K so now you have less money to give Whitaker.

And yes $20K is the magic number for NDFAs. Unlike the $125K amount for round 11-20 picks, it’s a hard cap. So you can never pay them more than that amount.

13th rounder Kobe Kato has signed…

So, would it be fair to infer that while the Astros wanted Hamilton, but not @ $125K (round 11-20) and he might not be available as a UDFA?

So, by getting him to sign for $48K, did they save two ways:

• $77K in “out of pocket” savings on a 11-20 slot ($$ not going anywhere)
  • as well as $316K under slot savings available for the two studs at the top?
  • While Hamilton takes away and extra $28K by not being an UDFA.

Much obliged! You taught me something today!

PS: Sorry, I missed it in April…

Agreed wholeheartedly about how instructive the $740k in savings is. It’s not an exact comparison, but looking at how highly Whitaker was ranked and the respective slot bonus for that pick, you can get a rough idea of what it’s going to take for the Astros to sign him:

#37 - MLB ($1,999,300)
#52 - Keith Law ($1,403,700)
#60 - Baseball America ($1,157,400)

ETA: I wouldn’t be surprised if the Astros get more savings by signing Loperfido to an underslot deal.

I’m certain that Hamilton would have been drafted so there really wasn’t any benefit for him in all of this.

Being able to call yourself a 5th round draft pick forever: Priceless.

That is the only benefit he got from being drafted where he was instead of where he was projected. The money likely would have been similar regardless.

1 Like

7th rounder Joey Loperfido has signed…

In their draft database BA has 11th rounder SS Chad Stevens as having signed.

So that’s 13 of 19 picks having signed thus far.

Updated. Waiting on the Loperfido bonus to be reported…

Updated for the Loperfido bonus as reported by Jim Callis…

3rd-rder Tyler Whitaker signs w/@Astros for $1.5 million (pick 87 value = $689,300). Nevada HS OF, began tapping into plus raw power this spring (same
Bishop Gorman HS as Joey Gallo), strong arm, moves well for 6-ft-4 guy. Arizona recruit. @MLBDraft

— Jim Callis (@jimcallisMLB) July 21, 2021

Interesting. For comparison, $1.5M is basically slot value for the 49th/50th overall pick, so it was like moving up a round in the draft. That over-slot signing bonus eats up most of the savings from the other rounds.

Still figuring this out.
How likely is it that, in addition to the approx $800K added bonus for Whitaker, the cost may include not be able to sign their #4 pick?

PS: is that a “we’ll see.” question?

Updated for Whitaker. 14 of 19 draftees signed…

He’s already verbally agreed and the Astros have already figured that in to their numbers.

Thank you!

Yep, see my post earlier about where he was ranked going into the draft and the relative slot values.

Put it another way, Astros are essentially getting someone who was a fringe First Round/Competitive Balance pick going into the draft.

From earlier today…14th rounder Bryant Salgado has signed

1 Like

Outfielder Jaxon Hallmark out of the U of Nebraska hasn’t shown up yet on the BA list of free agent signings. That gives the Astros 8 NDFAs inked.

1 Like

Combined list of draft picks and NDFA signings so far…