2021 Farm System Rankings

Nothing new here as Keith Law puts the Astros 25th in his farm system rankings…

The Rays, Indians, Blue Jays, Marlins and Diamondbacks come in at 1-5.

The rest of the AL West isn’t particularly strong either: Mariners (#13), Angels (#23), Rangers (#24) and A’s (#29).

Baseball America largely concurs, putting them at 26

Looks like they’ve got some sucking to do.

And MLB Pipeline puts 'em at #29

And in Baseball America’s midseason update fall to #29.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2021-midseason-mlb-organization-talent-rankings/

Yikes! Where are all the Astros?

In the big leagues.

2 Likes

Francis Martes and Forrest Whitley say hello.

1 Like

You don’t get to 29th with a bunch of top 100 guys

1 Like

I think these rankings are basically shit. Ever since the bulk of our current stars progressed through the minors, seems like we’ve been ranked really low. Yet, since that time, we’ve seen a lot of international guys step up on the mound, along with dudes like Toro, McCormick, Meyers, and others I’ve forgot.

The Astros are way above par in developing relatively unknown guys, and these lists and ranking continually shortchange the talent that moves up through the system.

1 Like

I enjoy the rankings but they have limited use.

I would think it would be interesting of some one did a team control rankings that looked 3 years out at the talent under team control on the 40 man and those projected to make an impact with the club during that time.

Absolutely. It’s always fun to read through the rankings and analysis, but I stopped putting much faith in them awhile ago (especially BA).

I would also say that with the possible exception of FanGraphs (and maybe ESPN now that Kiley McDaniel is over there, but I don’t have a subscription and can’t confirm), none of the prognasticators give the Astros their due when it comes to developing unheralded prospects into useful MLB players, which they’ve made a habit of doing.

2 Likes

This right here!