2021 Asheville Tourists (Hi-A)

This year’s schedule for the other new affiliate in the system…

The new High A East League will apparently be split into a northern division and a southern division with 5 teams in the former and 7 teams in the latter because…well…geography…

That’s Hudson Valley, Brooklyn, Jersey Shore, Wilmington and Aberdeen in the north.

And Greensboro, Hickory, Winston-Salem and Greenville along with Asheville in the south with Rome and Bowling Green as outliers.

Replying to stay subscribed (and hoping to actually need this schedule when trip-planning). I will be in Asheville June 1-5, but it looks like I’ll need to drive down to Greenville if I want to see them then.

Names to watch – pitchers: Tyler Brown, Jimmy Endersby, Blair Henley, Juan Pablo Lopez, Jose Alberto Rivera

Names to watch – catchers/infielders: Korey Lee, Freudis Nova, Luis Santana

Names to watch – outfielders: Colin Barber, Alex McKenna

Aggressive assignments for both Tyler Brown (3rd rounder, 2020) and Jimmy Endersby (NDFA, 2020) as both will be making their professional debuts.

Korey Lee and Freudis Nova are the only names I recognize here. Unless…was Serrano the third-rounder/1st pick from last year?

iirc, Colin Barber is another to watch

Serrano was, again iirc, an overslot sign 3-4 years ago, got hurt, and…

McKenna, if he can stay healthy, is another interesting name to watch.

Yeah, 10th rounder from 2017 and was slightly overslot at $203K. Son of the former Vols coach and played there himself. Had TJS in college and as you say has missed a lot of time since. At one time could get it up in to the upper 90s but I doubt he’s reaching that now. And even if he did, he just can’t find the fucking plate.

1 Like

Serrano walked 31 in 16 IP back in 2019 so it’ll be interesting to see if he can approach any semblance of control this year…

1 Like

Korey Lee played 3B tonight (a position he played some while at Cal). So he’s now played 4 positions as a pro–1B, 3B, LF and of course catcher.

He also hit his 3rd homer of the year in this his 13th game of the season. That’s how many longballs he hit in 2019 while playing 64 games for Tri-City.

After the hot start for Fayetteville (.344/.392/.625), OF Matthew Barefoot gets the promotion to the Tourists. The 2019 6th rounder goes 0-5 with 3 Ks today in his hi-A debut.

2 Likes

3B Joe Perez another player with the promotion to hi-A after hitting .300/.407/.500 for Fayetteville. Not sure why he wasn’t in the starting lineup for the Tourists tonight.

19-year-old RHP Jaime Melendez is excelling thus far in low A ball and recorded 7 K tonight in 2.2 IP.

In 14 IP across 5 gms he has a .60 ERA with 31 K and 5 BB.

I’m sure given his age and those numbers he’s putting himself on the prospect map. However can’t help but look at his listed 5’8" and hope he’s had a growth spurt since signing.

Saw my first game Sunday. They did nothing after the first inning against the ace of the Bowling Green staff, and Alex McKenna wasn’t playing, but I liked the look of them anyway. Ruppenthall gave up a lot of hard contact. Felipe Tejada was great. He and Scott Schreiber signed my nephew’s ball. And a ginger i could not otherwise identify who jogged up to grab an errant mid-inning throw to first gave my nephew a ball.

Crap I didn’t realize I posted that about Melendez in the wrong forum. My apologies.

Shouldn’t this be in the Fayetteville thread?