What are you reading?

Have you looked into The Sixth Extinction by New Yorker science writer Elizabeth Kolbert? Not in the least reassuring, but astonishing and beautifully written.

I also read this year, for research for a novel idea I had, a crazy interesting book called The Life & Death of Planet Earth by Peter Ward and Donald Brownlee, which delves into some geologically deep weather forecasting, and helps puts things a bit into perspective.

I’m glad you brought up Blood and Thunder. I’ve been contemplating that book for several years now but have always put it off for some reason. I’ve put it on my list now. Also plan to re-read Son Of The Morning Star by Evan Connell about Custer and Little Big Horn but more of an historical accounting of Plains Indians and their struggle to maintain their homeland.

We spent a week in Taos this summer, and before we went I listened to Blood and Thunder. It’s great. It’s one of the best books on the West, especially New Mexico, that I’ve read.

1 Like

I don’t read much non-fiction but some of these definitely sound interesting.

Hell of a Book won the National Book Award yesterday. I downloaded it a half hour ago and it’s great so far. This is my first time reading Jason Mott, and I have a feeling I’m going to end up going back over some of his older stuff.

I just did the same! This should tide me over until Leviathan Falls is released on the 30th.

1 Like

@Knoxbanedoodle holy fraking crap I finally got down to reading this book for real (The Mezzanine, Nicholas Baker). It’s taken me an hour to get to page 11 from laughing. Jeebus Christmas, the footnotes. What reality.

1 Like

@Knoxbanedoodle sorry, but

1 Like

I love The Mezzanine. Wait till you get to the bit in the bathroom–I just about died with laughter.

1 Like

My favorite part too. “Like a single rap on a snare drum” I think he says.

1 Like

The Mezzanine is brilliant. I thought The Fermata is a really interesting idea told in the most delightfully perverse way. I could never make it through Vox, which is ironic because Lewinsky gifting it to Clinton is what put him in the mainstream.

I’ve thought a lot about the horrors of the public restroom air hand-dryer over the years, but especially in light of the pandemic and how we learned that nobody really knew how to properly wash their hands. I think I saw the term “weaponizing fecal matter” somewhere and I figured it was either lifted from that passage or should have been originally included.

Somehow missed this thread – too busy reading elsewhere? I usually stick with one book per genre rather than a strict “one book” policy. Currently reading:

• WJ Wood – Battles of the Revolutionary War. Wood does a great job of drawing on mostly original sources to bring various key battles alive. This is my second or third time through it, and I am supplementing with a lot of those primary sources as well.

• Fredrik Backman – Anxious People. This is an amazing, hilarious, tragic novel about … well … lots of things not really very related to the underlying theme of sadness and wholeness. Translated from the Swedish. And you will never think about “Stockholm” the same way again. Or bank robbers.

• Dante – Divine Comedy. I joined a reading group for this one – 100 Days of Dante sponsored by Baylor. I have always avoided this, but am finding it quite interesting – especially with the short commentary videos for each Canto.

ETA: I also just finished Thomas Kidd’s two volume American History, which is a nice quick narrative overview.

The Fermata is…uh…compelling. Or cumpelling, maybe, is how Baker would spell it.

My favorite are the Paul Chowder books—especially the first, The Anthologist.

I liked Anxious People. For much of it I found Backman’s writing to veer toward the patronizing and stereotypical (or obviously playing against stereotype which just reinforces the stereotype) but man can he imbue his characters with humanity and deliver an emotional payoff. I thought A Man Called Ove was absolutely terrific. Anxious People was a fine follow up that I’m also glad I read.

Next on my list.

Got this for Christmas and thought about you:

I received “Bottom of the 33rd” from a friend. Looking forward to that read.

Read that. Good book.

Unfortunately I’m reading 30 Days To Natural Blood Pressure Control.
Getting old sucks. But, better than the alternative as they say.