What are you reading?

The Quiet Americans, by Scott Anderson, about the OSS/OPC/CIA during the first 12 years of the Cold War.

Libra, by Don Delillo, a historical novel about the JFK assassination.

Couple books of essays—No Judgment and All Things Are Too Small—by Lauren Oyler and Becca Rothfeld, about this moment.

Prodigals, short stories by Greg Jackson.

Just finished Sandwich by Catherine Newman, which was hilarious and the most menopausal book I’ve ever read.

1 Like

I’m still reading it. But so far it been good, especially if you like British Naval history.

I read Libra a few years ago. Good stuff.

1 Like

The Kingdom, The Power, and The Glory by Tim Alberta.

I hesitate to describe it too much as it could hijack the thread.

If you’re a Christian who has misgivings about the current role Christians are playing in politics this book may interest you.

3 Likes

I’m re-reading Patrick O’Brien’s Aubrey/
Maturin series — finishing up book 4.
It may even be better this time around as I already “know” the characters.

1 Like

Gravity’s Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon —> its a grind, but well worth it.

3 Likes

Insane book.

2 Likes

Absolutely love it - is a tremendous amount of work, but that’s why I love it; it is like a present that keeps giving, adding to my education and edification (Slothrop is such a classic literary character) - It takes forever to get a through a chapter (after looking up the analysis or reference) but its like a map to our historical future.

Didn’t know writing could be this intricate and subversive.

Cheers!

3 Likes

GR, and Crying of Lot 49 was great too.

1 Like

I have been on a Anthony Horowitz kick lately. Really enjoying his mysteries.

I finally finished Stephen Harrigan’s “Big Wonderful Thing”. I read it here and there over a few months, because it’s huge.

Now I don’t know what’s next.

1 Like

There’s a Gravity’s Rainbow wiki that would probably save you a lot of time. Someone said, about Pynchon, “The things he knows!

2 Likes

There’s a companion book as well, but I don’t know if it saves time. More likely, it leads you way down interesting bunny trails. Way down.

3 Likes

That’s what I got (the companion book sold to analyze each chapter/word meanings/entendres), as the Wiki - led me to lose my attention span more than I thought possible.

Knox is spot on here, Pynchon has seen some shit.

2 Likes