What are you reading?

Pfft. Make up your mind, is it war or is it peace? Him and Dickens both, with his best of times and worst of times bullshit. Give me a bloodthirsty clown in the sewers. It is a far, far better butt I’ve kicked than I have ever kicked before.

It was the best of times, it was THE BLURST OF TIMES?! YOU STUPID MONKEY!

3 Likes

Which translation are you reading? I saw a really great comparison of some new-ish ones, of course I cannot remember any of the translators’ names or anything, but some seemed to have some really neat prose.

Emily Wilson. She wrote an in-depth introduction (74 pages!) to set the context for the story, which I found useful, and to describe her methodology.

Might I suggest, as a fellow Trek enthusiast, Moby Dick–a sprawling, fascinating and ornate meditation on most every aspect of 19th century whaling, narrowly bookended by a plot.

And, if you decide to go the Shakespeare route, Hamlet is just such a metal play.

1 Like

The line must be drawn HEAH! No further!!

1 Like

Don’t forget…Henry V is the “Official Shakespearean Play of OWA”.

on a side note…I went to “Drunk Shakespeare” a few months ago, where they do Macbeth and one member of the cast gets snockered.

Both of those things are amazing. At the risk of exposing myself to the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, why is Henry V the official Shakespearian play of OWA?

Yes but the Khan quotation is better. “I shall chase you round the…” etc.

Why is there air? How is a rainbow made? How does a posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work? No one knows. It just is.

Just watched that last week. Man, does it hold up.

As I recall, the Pipes gathered in 1998 in a secret location… Yada yada yada… Henry V.

YARN | You've ruined my pipes. | Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 1 - S01E11 My Bunny Lies Over the Sea | Video clips by quotes | edc0fd69 | 紗

We have a piper doon…

Has Hudson ever posted a gif before? I feel uncomfortable.

3 Likes

This is not fuckin’ X, dude. There are rules.

2 Likes

I loved your “review” of «Война и мир» Given your careful reading, you would love “August 1914” (Август 14-го) - Solzhenitsyn was clearly following Tolstoy’s script, though with a little more “human” take.

1 Like

Hard to beat Fitzgerald.

I can’t tell you that W&P is my favorite novel, but I can tell you that I’m a slightly but discernibly different person after having read it.

In the spirit of VB’s recommendation, I’ll offer Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman. I found reading L&F to be a a very similar experience to W&P, and at least as rewarding. I’d probably wait a while before diving in, but I highly recommend it once you’re ready for another massive undertaking.

1 Like

Everyone who’s read W&P says yes, it is actually that good. I know it’s a million pages long but how is it as a read? Tough but rewarding slog, page-turner, somewhere in the middle?