What are you eating?

Why do you think the Reds are perennially shitty?

2 Likes

Pete Rose’s barber used a skyline chili bowl as a template.

2 Likes

I bet you’re right.

I’ll say again, I liked the version I had at Rhinegeist Brewery. Not even in the same universe as real chili, of course, but it was a tasty spaghetti sauce.

2 Likes

I was serving myself chili for lunch one day and decided to add some pasta since I was going to run later in the day and wanted the carbs. It tasted just fine but was clearly no longer chili.

1 Like

That’s Chili Mac with spaghetti noodles instead if macaroni noodles.

There is chili (red) and then there is the endless string of varieties that must carry a qualifier. Chili with beans, with noodles, veggie chili, white chili, pork chili, any meat other than beef chili, green chili, tofu chili. But there is only one true chili.

1 Like

Yep. And I am looked at like a pedantic lunatic whenever I try to make those distinctions to friends and family in Maryland and Vermont. Y’all are corrupting me with your strongly held notions about insignificant things…

Blasphemer!
Since when is chili insignificant?

1 Like

Exactly. Wars have started over less.

Davis.

You misspelled my name. It’s “David”. I make the best chili.

1 Like

Green chili is green chile, by decree of the New Mexico legislature, and has nothing to do with chili.

I think you mean made of dead cats.

My friends out here in Napa (except the ex-pats from Texas) roll their eyes when I politely inform them about what constitutes chili, and also its history - i.e. the chili queens of San Antonio.

That said, Kara and I make gringo chili with beans, especially if the Astros are in the playoffs, and I’m not ashamed to say I love it.

Chili with beans is great.

It’s just not chili.

2 Likes

When I make up a pot of chili for guests I always have some beans available for anyone that wants to dump them in their bowl of chili. Also sliced jalapenos, grated cheese, and chopped raw onion.

This is exactly what I do. “Ruin your chili however you like but leave me out of it…”. I will say this though, if you like chili with beans, Goya black beans are the better alternative to red kidney beans.

I think the nomenclature is a big part of the problem with this dish.

Moved to California and married a Korean girl raised in LA who loves chili but argues that it comes with beans. If you’ve met a Korean girl you’ll know this is an argument I can’t win so I’ve met her in the middle with black beans and you’re absolutely right. As Wesley Snipes said, “Always bet on black.”

2 Likes