What are you drinking, 2023…and 2024?

Total Wine and H‑E‑B have it here.

1 Like

I love Fin du Monde. #3 beers of all time.

What are # 1&2?

1 Like

Delireum Tremens and Celebrator.

1 Like

This is intriguing

2 Likes

I tried this instead of St Germain. It’s very good and local.

2 Likes

Nice! Will pick up a bottle soon

Does it make your cocktail smell of Elderberries?

3 Likes

Smoked maple old fashioned. Garrison Brothers Small Batch and some real maple syrup from Vermont. It’s damn tasty.

3 Likes

To quote Lou Brown, “That’s a hell of an idea.”

Rum. Something flown in from Turks that was really smooth.

A Wicked Word. It’s an Anders Erickson special.

1 oz cognac
1 oz Aperol
1 oz black Sambuca
1 oz lemon juice.

It literally tastes like a black jelly bean. Which I LOVE.

I’m going to bust these out after Thanksgiving dinner:

I think I’ve had one, at a restaurant, in my life

1 Like

I am a fan of cognac and Armagnac. Any chance to use in a cocktail is welcomed.

1 Like

I remember where it was…the Rotisserie for Beef and Bird, back in the day out on the westside

Wow. That was a great place.

Speaking of cognac…Kelt XO. In my glass. Right now.

Chavy-Chouet Aligoté followed by one of my old vine Carignanes from the 2022 vintage we bottled last December. For dinner, need to look through the wine fridge and come up with something for the ribeye I’m currently grilling.

2 Likes

First, I hope you grilled a helluva steak.

Secondly, earlier last night I had Felino Malbec, which had a sort of annoying sulphuric aroma. I normally love Malbec with my cheese and almonds, and the wine didn’t taste bad nor was it overpowering, there was just something about the smell that was…off. Is that just a bad fermentation job?

The ribeye was fucking glorious. Lucky to have several really good butchers in Napa.

Hydrogen sulfide is a marker of reduction and usually gives off a garlic or cabbage like aroma in its worst form. Mild reduction will blow off with air and a bit of time (this is one reason why decanting younger wines is a good idea). If it doesn’t, it may be another problem altogether, brettanomyces, which render a wine undrinkable if it’s really bad.

To your question, though, reduction often is a result of a bad fermentation. If it’s not cleaned up there, it can linger in the wine, sometimes for years. Reduction can also happen in barrel when too much sulfur is added to the wine (SO2 is your best defense against microbial spoilage). Younger wines can show this in their youth, especially after shortly after bottling. I suspect this may have been what happened to your wine knowing that Felino is larger production wine that hits the market quickly.

Also, and I apologize if I’m making your eyes roll, certain varieties like Carignane and Petite sirah are inherently prone to reduction. They really test your patience as a winemaker.

1 Like