What are you drinking, 2023…and 2024?

No kidding. That’s why I eventually sold my “place”. It was just too much upkeep when you don’t live there full time.

1 Like

Kara and I seriously thought about buying a small old vine Zin vineyard (~ 5 acres) out in Lodi that had an equally old two story house on the property. The house needed a lot of work and the vineyard definitely needed some better farming. With us not living there full time, that more or less made the decision.

We should talk at some point.

You should be here helping us burn brushpiles

We have a small window in the Bay Area (ended yesterday) when we can burn our cuttings from pruning the vineys. Piles are well over three cubic yards and there are heaps of them. Takes several days to burn everything.

1 Like

We were in Savannah on Wednesday and Thursday, and ate at a restaurant that sold a drink called the Lady M. It was described as “a blend of some of our favorite gins and vermouths, served with a lemon twist and an olive.” The waitress confirmed that it was named after one of the owners’ wives, who could never decide what she wanted in her martini.

1 Like

Kara has really gotten into Vespers lately. One of our favorite local watering holes is a Spanish inspired gin bar. Their take on a Vesper uses Tximista vermouth in place of Lillet. Really effing good.

1 Like

Martinis are just something I never cared for. I’m not sure why. I like gin. I like vermouth. I just don’t like them together. Weird.

Allow me to introduce you to the Bradford, which may very well do your head in.

I’m not here to say that we can improve upon the Daiquiri. We can’t. The Daiquiri is already God’s perfect creation, the apotheosis of shaken cocktails and among the best things you can drink on this planet or any other.

What I am saying is that sometimes, even a Daiquiri wants to get a little dolled up. It’s the same as anyone—I’m sure you look great, but sometimes, you want to turn heads. For you this could be a particular suit or dress. For a Daiquiri, it’s Yellow Chartreuse. Yellow Chartreuse is what the Daiquiri would wear to the Met Gala. It’s what it puts on when it wants to make an impression.

This impression is called a Daisy de Santiago. The drink comes to us from a man named Charles H. Baker, Jr., who had perhaps the greatest job ever conceived; after marrying rich, Baker endeavored to travel by steam ship around the globe and chronicle all the best things he ate and drank, the latter of which he stitched into an exuberant volume called The Gentleman’s Companion: Being an Exotic Drinking Book, or around the World with Jigger, Beaker, and Flask. The book was published in 1939, and to read it is to get an unusually broad survey of the various boozy inventions of the interwar world.

Fantastic. I’ve been on a huge disquiet kick lately and I just happen to have some Yellow Chartreuse in the house.

And kindly allow me to introduce you to the Greta Garbo, an absinthe laced daiquiri from 1930’s Cuba:

Greta Garbo

Cafe La Trova version, Julio Cabrera – via Punch

2 oz. white rum
3 dashes (3/8 tsp.) absinthe
3/4 oz. lime juice
1/2 tbsp. granulated sugar

Combine all ingredients in a shaker and shake with ice for 15 seconds. Strain into a 5 1/2 oz. coupe glass.

3 Likes

I think absinthe is a much underutilized spirit.

1 Like

I shall be giving this one a go. Not now, but in due course.

1 Like

YOU JUST WANT US TO ALL HAVE HORRIBLE HALLUCINATIONS. I WAS DRINKING ABSINTHE WHEN I HALLUCINATED THAT DONALD TRUMP WAS PRESIDENT!

6 Likes

More and more people are saying it’s the best

All the best people.

Homemade lemonade plus ice tea (Arnold Palmer) plus vodka = a John Daly

I might throw some mint in the next one just for research purposes.

2 Likes

I do agree. An absinthe rinse in a glass prior to pouring a cocktail adds depth.

This year’s special edition release. I’m not a fan of it with tonic-- the combo tastes too medicinal to me. Somehow the quinine flavor exacerbates the florals in the gin too much. But this is quite nice with soda or ginger ale and a lime wedge.

3 Likes

The Orbium is a fun gin