USFL Returns

Yeah, floorball.

And roller rinks wasn’t a dig at all I don’t think, I knew what Chuck was getting at.

Ok, probably so. My bad.

I can never remember the name floorball so I always say rollerball because a) it gives Mark a chance to correct me and b) it reminds me of this movie from when I was a kid:

3 Likes

So if “rollerball” is a synonym for “floorball,” you were 100% correct. That is why he was in Birmingham.

Well, I know that he does something that involves running around on a rink with sticks and whatnot. I can never remember the name of the sport/activity. To wit, when he was describing his experience in Birmingham, he mentioned that he was there to play ‘football,’ and although I knew he wasn’t there playing football, my mind couldn’t even autocorrect that to floorball.

Floorball was surprising to me the first time I watched him play. I thought I would watch guys running around willy-nilly chasing a plastic ball with hockey-like sticks. What I watched was a very sophisticated game with passing and tactics much like hockey without the body checking and slams. The goalie plays on his knees. Mark has been on some good teams, and their precision was fun to watch.

He can say much more about it, but the game is big in Scandinavia, and there is a US National team. He plays in a co-Ed league, and there is a US Women National Team.

1 Like

For a touch more context about Birmingham… I was actually there for the US National Tournament, which happens every summer. Last summer was especially cool since our tournament was the test drive for the World Games hosting floorball as a “show sport” for the Olympics in 2022.

Here’s the blurb on the World Games site about floorball: Floorball - The World Games 2022 | Birmingham, USA

1 Like

I loved that the Houston team was the best. It also coincided with the Aeros’ glory days.

1 Like