Travel 2024

Isn’t that a paraphrase of C. Thomas Howell in Red Dawn?

Well played, my good sir.

I’ll be at the Astros As game on Friday the 21st this month.

Coming to you from the PTY. It’s rained more here in the last two hours than it has in two years in Las Vegas. Somebody should look into this and find out what the hell’s going on, commission a study, really get to the bottom of it. We need some answers once and for all.

I neglected to bring an umbrella or a rain jacket. Maybe if I’d ever been here before I could have prepared better.

2 Likes

The last couple of times we were up the road in Costa Rica, we didn’t even bring an umbrella. We just did the local thing and got wet. Then dry. Then wet again. Rinse, repeat.

What is a PTY?

Last time I was in Panama it was the old city and Bocas del Toro.

I’d love to go back to different spots. Costa Rica was pretty touristy lame. Nicaragua was a tad sketchy but great. I really do want to hit up Panama again.

I think it has to do with these new fanged flying contraptions. Don’t worry though, it’s just a fad.

Costa Rica is like most places. It matters where you go. Go to the Pacific side and there will be tons of touristy, expat-laden areas and you’ll get exactly what you’d expect there. Go to the middle and Gulf side on the east, especially down towards the Panamanian border and it’s a glorious experience. Great scenery, great people, great food, etc…

1 Like

Rented a house for 3 months or so between Limon and the border. I loved some places on the pacific side, but that was the most tranquil time I spent there.

Yeah, We’ve spent most of our time in Puerto Viejo with the girls volunteering at the Jaguar Rescue Center. My favorite part of the country.

1 Like

Check airports where the new-dangled contraptions fly in.

Thank you, flyboy.

In floating around doing the various things I need to do I’ve been reflecting on the enormous changes the country’s seen since I first set foot here almost 20 years ago. Mostly changes for the better, probably.

Panama’s a great place and you can’t go far wrong wherever you go. I expect I’ll head over to the Casco Viejo later tonight and see what’s what. That’s a part of town that’s changed as much as any. If gentrification counts as change. When were you here?

Fantastic!! Let me know when you’re out here and let’s try to meet up.

We are just in for a quick weekend, Friday the 21st thru Sunday. Assuming our flight is on time we land around noon Friday and plan to go to the Astros game that evening. 1 game at the coliseum is enough for us. We are staying in SF, right next to the Painted Ladies.

1 Like

nevermind

One game at the Coliseum is more than sufficient. That week will be plenty busy, but might be able to drop down for the game if you’re keen.

Nice neighborhood. Have you ever done The Filbert Steps? I also enjoyed the walk out to Baker Beach.

So as I’ve mentioned, the Mrs and I are planning a trip to Italy next May. We are in the process of booking airfare, and the cheapest flights are on British Airways through LHR. The only issue with BA is they impose a rather high “carrier imposed fee”, which as I understand it is their way of recouping a few extra bucks from those using loyalty points to book flights. The total cost is in line with other airlines, actually cheaper, but I’m assuming those fees are non-refundable? Has anyone had any negative experience on BA, as opposed to say United, that would be a deal killer?

I may have a predisposition, but I would fly BA over United 10 times out of 10. Better seats, better service. You’ll likely have a more friendly connection at LHR on BA than United.

Two more advantages that BA has over United:
(1) free bags
(b) free booze

1 Like