Do it.

1 Like

It’s great. Vermont is better.

1 Like

Thanks. Did Vermont last year.

[looks at map twice]

I love Arizona, but I much prefer Montana

Saskatchewan is amazing.

Yes! We grew up going every few years (my great-grandma lived in Michigan, so we’d go visit her, then take a side trip).

It’s a cool place to visit, but Mackinac itself is probably only entertaining for about a day. But, there’s plenty of other good stuff in Michigan. Our family has been considering a driving trip around the state as a family vacation.

1 Like

I know you’re not supposed to call it “Mack-N-Ack”.

That’s a good start.

Then they should wake up and start spelling it Mackansas.

1 Like

Going to spend 3 days in Fredericksberg in a few weeks. Looking for recommendations for restaurants, wineries and other worthwhile venues and activities. Already planning on visiting the Nimitz Museum and the LBJ Ranch.

1 Like

I am flying out Friday for Vancouver BC where Mrs. Duman and I will be embarking on an Alaskan Cruise. We will have a day back in Vancouver when we get back. Any suggestions on what we should see/do?

1 Like

They have a great aquarium in Vancouver. Lots of good Asian food.

1 Like

Take the ferry to Victoria.

3 Likes

Or a seaplane.

1 Like

Eaker’s Barbecue. Get the Gochujang ribs. Everything Lance and Boo makes is terrific, but that is a well-earned signature dish. The Hilltop Cafe is a great restaurant for Tex-Cajun.

As for wineries, I’m partial to Becker as it’s an institution of Texas wine. It’s shocking the amount of schlocky bachelorette party bait lining 290 these days.

3 Likes

Mrs Hawk and I were there last summer. As for wineries, I really enjoyed Kuhlman Cellars. Augusta Vin is really nice too. Grape Creek has a nice tasting room in town. I like Becker ok, but it’s one of the bigger and more crowded ones.

Lots of restaurants, depending on what you like and how much you want to spend. And whether or not you want to drive.

I also recommend the Lincoln Street cigar lounge. It’s a really cool little laid back place with a patio and live music. You can, but certainly don’t have to, smoke a cigar. Lots of other bars and stuff too, again, depending on your tastes.

I also really enjoyed a stop at Garrison Brothers Distillery in Hye. It’s a fun place to stop on the way (from Houston, anyway).

1 Like

Eaker’s rocks - I have been there 3 times. (The Goch ribs is the bomb.)

Re: wine: I’ve been there +500 pairings, and these are my favorites.

1. Hilmy
  2. Wine for the People
  3. Lost Draw
  4. Southhold Vineyards
  5. William Chris
  6. Kuhlman
  7. Alexander
  8. Cross Mountain
  9. Lewis
  10. Becker

I’ve been 20 times at Grape Creek (in 2012 and after), Hye Meadows (15 times), Augusta Vin (1 time), Texas Wine Coop, and more. There are my few.

Sadly, I believe Southold is permanently closed. Reagan and his wife moved to Bordeaux towards the end of last year. Don’t think they found anyone to take on the vineyard and winery. Shame, because they were making some of the best wines in Texas.

ETA - William Chris is great. Highly worth a visit. Been several years since I had it, but the tannat at Bending Branch was pretty solid.

1 Like

Re: Southhold: I know. It’s sad, but it’s happy too.

William Chris, Lost Draw, and WotP are wine makers, but Chris has the power. William (Bill, actually) is a wine maker in Mason in a different name. Rae (wine maker for WotP) is there now in Fredericksburg; Lost Draw before. Chris (and wife and family) is St. B (church) and we are friends - 9 am for Chris and 11 am for me and wife and two girls (in Fred).