Travel 2024

Seattle…the Space Needle and right next door is the Chihuly Glass Gardens. Spectacularly cool. I also very much enjoyed the Museum of Flight. And do the Seattle underground tour thing. It’s pretty cool too. Most people don’t realize that street level in Seattle is the second floor. The fish slinging at Pike Place Market is a must for the kid. Breakfast at the Biscuit Bitch. And of course the ball yard.

1 Like

The Museum of Flight is reported to be spectacular.

I have been and can report that it is indeed spectacular. As aviation museums go, it is a true standout.

I spent way more time there than I planned on, and still didn’t stay long enough. It was more than I expected. But had to boogie to get to a tour of the Boeing factory, which was also pretty cool, in a different way. They are not anywhere close to each other.

The Space Needle was worth the price of admission when I went last year. The Chihuli Glass Gardens, though… well, maybe I’m just not cultured enough, but I didn’t get it.

I was just in KC last week. I liked True Food Kitchen in Crossroads. Good, fresh Neuvo-California style food. Would be a great place for lunch and a good place for dinner. The salmon was excellent. Places to stay are plentiful. The Intercontinental was somewhat shabby, due for an update. Maybe it was my government-rate room…

You can throw a rock in any direction and hit any number of good KC barbecue places. Each with its own personality (little sweeter here, little spicier there, more or less vinegar, etc…). Ask your uber driver as you come in from the airport and you’ll get a deep dive overview. Also, their new airport opened up a couple of weeks ago. Be prepared to be repeatedly asked about your experience. Everyone is mighty proud of the place.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Space Needle because Seattle was crystal clear that whole weekend. Even locals told us they couldn’t remember that many cloudless days in a row.

As for the Glass Gardens…I’m not sure I’m an art connoisseur, but I was utterly mesmerized. Of course, Mrs. Hawk and I both have an affinity for glass art (recently picked up a spectacular glass bowl in Hawaii), so perhaps it catches my eye more than it does most. I understand it may not be everyone’s cup o’ tea.

We stayed at the President Hotel downtown. It has a cool 1920s vibe, and speakeasy-vibe bar that served a great old fashioned. At least a few years ago. Not sure what it’s like now.

Thinking about a trip to the Lake Country (Windermere, Grasmere, Ambleside area) this summer. Any recommendations?

I enjoyed that Underground tour. A great city for walking.

We stayed at The Edgewater Hotel in Seattle once. It is pretty close to the major stuff but not right in the middle of it. The Beatles and other music acts have stayed there and they make kind of a big deal about it. I do think that’s the hotel though where the train comes nearby and was somewhat annoying.

The Edgewater has some great stories in its history.

In 1969, the band (Led Zeppelin) had a particularly debauched visit at the Edgewater Inn (now simply The Edgewater) in Seattle. The hotel looks directly over Elliott Bay and drummer John Bonham and road manager Richard Cole had been fishing from their rooms. The pair caught a number of mudsharks, stuck coat hangers through the gills, then left them in the closet. Accounts of the party vary, but it seems that these sharks were then used to perform sex acts on various groupies. The sharks were later discovered all over the room, and all sorts of furniture and accessories were tossed out the windows into the bay. Much like The Who, Led Zeppelin were likewise banned from the Edgewater Inn, though since that time Robert Plant has been welcomed back.

Zappa wrote a song about it.

Seems like they could just ban fishing from the rooms and that would solve a lot of problems.

I stayed at the Edgewater years ago (no debauchery).

It was nice. If the prices are still reasonable I’d recommend it.

I stayed at the Edgewater for a nearby conference 8-10 years ago; I had no idea about the history. It was fine (as I remember it) but certainly not a destination in itself.

Just got back from a few back visiting my mom in San Antonio, which is worthy enough of another post entirely.

We took Kara to Tower of the Americas, partly because she’d never been and partly because we were in Seattle last November and went to the Space Needle. The latter is definitely glitzier and more touristy. The former has its own sense of kitsch with a laid back charm, and I liked the almost Soviet brutalist style architecture at the Tower compared to the modern aesthetic of the Space Needle.

That said, both are well worth the price of admission and I enjoyed the hell out of drinking a libation at each one.

The main thing I remember about my visit to the space needle was seeing some staffers from Late Night with Conan O’Brien there (they were wearing jackets with the show title

Be got married that weekend in Seattle and I guess they were seeing the sights.

And as far as towers go, the CN tower is worth it just for the clear plexiglass section of flooring.

If anyone ever has the opportunity to be at the top of the tower of America i recommend New Year’s Eve. I don’t think you could see a better firework show.

I’m sure it would be. Kara remarked how flat everything was from the Tower (as compared to here in Napa and Sonoma where it’s rather hilly).